Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:34 AM   #1

Default New DSLR

I have recently gotten a little inspired by some of the pictures taken by members of this forum and others as well as browsing sites like Flickr and have decided to look into getting a DSLR. I have a panasonic FH20 now, but I am thinking about getting something that can take better quality images, and offer a bit more manual control while still having a capable auto, so I have been looking at the Sony A55, the A580 and the Pentax K-r.

I really like the A55 for its size and burst mode speed, from what I understand, it is 10/sec or 6/sec with autofocus and exposure between shots? How is it for low light shooting since not all of the light hits the sensor? How does the EFV function in real world shooting? It seemed acceptable in the store but I cannot know how it would feel in the real world.

What advantages would the 580 offer over the 55?

What would be the best lense option for sony on the ~70-300mm range? The Sony "G" lense?

I have also been looking at the Pentax K-r, it can be bought in kit form with both the 18-55 lense and the 55-300 lense, which is more convienient and seems cheaper than getting a Sony and both lenses., What other advantages would Pentax offer over Sony?

I am not really interested in Canon or Nikon as I would like in-body stabilization.

I think I would mostly use this camera for vacations, maybe a some backyard and nature shots at the local nature preserve, if I get super ambitious I might take it to a zoo or something, I dont really intend for this to be a first step toward a serious life of photography.

I appreciate any advice and help! thanks!
Iforgotmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgotmyname View Post
I really like the A55 for its size and burst mode speed, from what I understand, it is 10/sec or 6/sec with autofocus and exposure between shots? How is it for low light shooting since not all of the light hits the sensor? How does the EFV function in real world shooting? It seemed acceptable in the store but I cannot know how it would feel in the real world.
At high frame rates, the A55 doesn't actually show the scene in the viewfinder. What it does is display the last captured image. That works for some things, but not others.

Quote:
What advantages would the 580 offer over the 55?
Optical viewfinder. Bigger battery.

Quote:
What would be the best lense option for sony on the ~70-300mm range? The Sony "G" lense?
Absolutely.

Quote:
I have also been looking at the Pentax K-r, it can be bought in kit form with both the 18-55 lense and the 55-300 lense, which is more convienient and seems cheaper than getting a Sony and both lenses., What other advantages would Pentax offer over Sony?
Since Sony makes the image sensor in the K-r, there isn't much real difference between the K-r and the A580/A55, with the exception of the higher resolution image sensor in the Sonys.

Quote:
I am not really interested in Canon or Nikon as I would like in-body stabilization.
Then you should probably know that, by any measure of the effectiveness of image stabilization, Sony's is slightly better than Pentax'.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote