Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:48 AM   #1

Default D90 vs 60D vs T2i

Hi,

I've been trying to decide on my 1st DSLR for some time now but its a nought so far.
I've narrowed down to:
Nikon D90
Canon 60D
Canon T2i

The camera is for general purposes but I go for road trips so outdoors and landscapes is important. Also I do lot of macro.

At this moment I am only looking for the kit lens that comes by default and may be I can go for a zoom lens too, depends on the budget.

I like the D90 but it being 2.5 years old is a concern.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also open to other cameras and my budget is $800-900 mark.
nkrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:23 AM   #2

Hi like you said the d90 is over 2 years old bit it is still a fine camera and will be getting cheaper now that the d7000 is out. Now the differences with the 60d and 550d first the price the 550d is a lot cheaper and you get a lot for money with that savings you could get another lens. i would go to a shop and look at both it may help you once you have tried them
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:01 AM   #3

Hello,

@wave, Thanks for responding.

The final plan is to go to the shop and take a look and feel the cam.
But before that I am looking to understand will it be good to get the D90 as is should I consider it?

550D, well being a Rebel series, I'm a bit apprehensive of it. I would have gone for the D3100 but have not found a lot of reference for that.
And then what I'm also concerned is that the 550D/D3100 might feel limited in scope as i get more into photography.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:32 AM   #4

Hi The T2i/550d is a fine camera and gives you a lot for money it is at the top end of its range and is effectivly a cut down 7d, and any EF lens will fit it. As I said before the D90 is also a fine camera and its price will drop. Its down to personnel choice now really
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:17 AM   #5

If you plan on shooting video, the 60D and the T2i is a better option the the d90. They are better setup for video.

The D7000 is a much better camera then the d90, but it is also allot more expensive.

But both the 60D and the d7000 will be out of your stated budget, and the d90 if you include lenses.

The T2i aka 550D is the best option with your budget, and it is a heck of a good camera.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:44 AM   #6

How is the D3100? That too comfortably fits in my budget and may be some space for a macro lens.
I was comparing T2i and 3100 pictures and the noise levels in T2i seems to be higher.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:18 PM   #7

The d3100 is okay, but it can not shoot a EV bracket. Which is a very useful feature. Also it can not use some nikon lenses that do not have a AF motor built into the lens. So it can make some of the less expensive lenses only in manual focus mode. If you were looking to save some more then the t2i, I would look at the T1i instead.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:35 PM   #8

I would like to suggest the Pentax K-r. It would definitely fit your budget with the 18-55,55-300 kit lens and is almost as gd as the t2i if nt better.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote