Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:14 PM   #1

Default What would you buy?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member here but have been lurking around the forum for a little while now. I'm looking to upgrade my current DSLR and am stuck on what to get. I'm hoping for some advice from some of you much wiser than me on this topic.

I used to have a Nikon D60 but it broke in a tragic accident and due to financial constraints I was unable to afford another one. I bought a Sony a300 and sold my old lenses to pay for other things. I've had my a300 since early 2009 and I can't stand it. I liked it alright at first but I'm not feeling it now and I'm ready to upgrade.

I have about $1300ish to spend. I primarily do natural light portraits, not professionally, just for friends and of my daughter. I do some action photography (equestrian sports) but I've got a good eye and I'm good at timing so I never really use burst mode, although it might be nice to try out. I currently don't shoot much video because I don't have a camcorder, so any video I shoot is on my Panasonic Lumix TZ5 P&S, so not really great quality. I'd like to shoot a little video, nothing major, just of my baby, pets, horses, etc. I don't want another Nikon, I never really loved my D60, and those lenses are gone, so I'm starting fresh.

I really like the Canon 60D and the T2i. I'd like the get the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens to go with it. If I get the 60D I can only afford the body & the 50mm lens. If I get the T2i I can afford the kit with 18-50mm lens and the 50mm f/1.4 lens as well.

I haven't been able to take pictures or video with either camera because neither retailer in town has active demos. But I was able to get my hands on the bodies of each camera and I really liked the feel of the 60D over the T2i. The articulating LCD isn't a big deal, I can live without it, so that's not a selling point for me.

If you had my $1300-1400ish budget what would you get? If not these cameras/lenses what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
tamaravphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:40 AM   #2

Money is always better spent on lenses than on bodies. If you want to go with Canon I'd get the T2i with kit 18-55, the 50/1.8, and a telephoto zoom for the equestrian sports. Which telephoto zoom would depend on which sport. I shoot Dressage and have had a lot of luck with lenses like Canon's 70-200/4 and Sigma's 100-300/4, but for other sports, and depending on your access, you might be better off with something else.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:46 AM   #3

Another vote for the T2i/550d as above
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:38 PM   #4

At B&H Photo in New York, the T2i with 18-55mm stabilized lens is currently $799 ($899 after Jan. 8):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

The T2i with both 18-55 and 55-250mm stabilized lenses is $949.98 ($1199.98 after Jan. 8):

The T2i with both 18-55mm stabilized and 70-300mm (non-stabilized telephoto) lenses is $899.98 ($1099.98 after Jan. 8):

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens is $99.95:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html

So... you can buy the T2i with three lenses in a range, depending on what lenses you choose, from $900-$1049 until Jan. 8 and then in a range from $1000-$1300 after Jan. 8. Sounds like you can easily make your budget - and you can even have some cash left over if you act within a week.

If you insist on a 60D... you can get it with the 18-135mm stabilized lens for $1299 ($1399 after Jan. 8):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html

And, again, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is $99.95. So... you can have the 60D with two lenses for $1400 until Jan 8. But if you don't act in a week, the same kit will be $1500.

Unless there's something about the T2i that really turns you off, it's clearly the better value and you can have three lenses instead of two - for less money than the 60D kit. Did we mention that T2i has the same sensor as the 7D? If you must have the 60D, fine. I'm sure it's a great camera. But it looks like you have three votes so far for the T2i.

Last edited by Biro; Jan 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
The T2i with both 18-55mm stabilized and 70-300mm (non-stabilized telephoto) lenses is $899.98 ($1099.98 after Jan. 8):

This is the Canon 75-300 (not the 70-300) wich is not a very good lens. You'd probably do well to skip this package.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:16 AM   #6

My bad... but you get the idea. The OP can get into T2i with three lenses for less money than the 60D with two lenses and not sacrifice much of anything.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote