Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:25 PM   #11

Your requirements are very similar to a lot of folks evaluating cameras, including my own.

All of the cameras under discussion are fine dslrs and will meet the basic requirements that you've outlined. But there are other considerations that you may not have yet considered.
First off, The viewfinders in each camera are slightly different. This may not seem important at first. But if you wear glasses-as I do, want to shoot a lot of landscape shots with a wide angle lens, or want to do some very fine macro work, a larger bright viewfinder would be of benefit to you. The 7D has a 100% magnification viewfinder- the 60D has a 96% mag. May sound small but depending on your photographic needs- the larger viewfinder may make a big difference.

If you think that you'll get serious about shooting birds and action sports, then a camera with fast frame rates is important. The 7D with it's 8 frames per second capabilities is a better choice than the 60D with 5.3fps.

The 60D has a great feature that the 7D does not - a vari-angle LCD screen. May not sound like much but if you want to take high or low angle shots, this is a most convenient feature.

The 7D, being a pro-level grade camera has a Magnesium Alloy body heavier than the 60D which is a plastic body. But it's also sturdier and designed to take a beating.

You mentioned you had big hands and I'm sure large fingers. The 7D uses compact flash cards, the 60D uses SD cards. Not sure how you feel, but I hate SD cards, their too small for my fingers to get at them.

I've been looking at various models of cameras with the thought of upgrading at some point in the future. These were some of the points that were important to me.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig

One point I neglected to add is that the 60D has 1 custom shooting mode, while the 7D has 3 meaning you can set up a different custom mode for shooting birds, one for shooting action sports, and one for macro. VERY NICE FEATURE

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:22 PM   #12

THANK YOU ZIG. Those are definitely some of the details I was looking for.
Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
THANK YOU ZIG. Those are definitely some of the details I was looking for.
Your Welcome.

One last thought that I didn't mention last night. I don't know where you live, in a large metropolitan area with access to stores that carry both brands under consideration or in an area like mine where there is limited access to full service camera shops. And, I'm not talking about big box stores but a shop that has knowledgable people who know the products they carry.

There is only one shop in the entire region where I live and they carry Canon. A part of my decision to upgrade will also include the ability to be able to go to a shop that has a full line of lenses so that I can try them out when I want to add a lens to my kit, etc. Service capabilities as well as the knowledge to answer my questions are important to me.

Yes, I know that I can buy all the equipment on line. But in this case, I want to be able to talk and discuss specific needs, and hold, feel and touch equipment first hand.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:19 PM   #14

I tried looking for specialized stores. The only one which existed went out of business last year. Bummer.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:29 PM   #15

Quote:
I have held most of them and played around a with them a little in the store. ...
Quote:
I tried looking for specialized stores. The only one which existed went out of business last year.
The camera bodies you're talking about, are not mass market products you're likely to find in Target, BB or WallyWorld. Where did you try them out?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:00 PM   #16

Hi Rudd,

One resource that hasn't been discussed as yet, is a local camera club. Perhaps, there is a camera club in your neck of the woods. If so, joining one really helps shorten the learning curve. And you don't necessarily have to own a camera to join one.

The major benefit to you is:

Generally speaking, most club members, either use a Canon or Nikon dslr.
ALL members are proud of the equipment they own and are usually very quick to show new members what they have, and why they think it's the best thing going.
You can touch hold feel each camera and review each of your concerns with someone who is enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

On line forum's such as Steve's are a great resource for all things having to do with photography. And, I believe that this forum is the best one on the web. That's why I joined a long time ago and continue to be a member. But, it's not your only resource.

Zig

Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The camera bodies you're talking about, are not mass market products you're likely to find in Target, BB or WallyWorld. Where did you try them out?

Best Buy had all of them. They even had the D7000 but it was behind closed glass and I couldn't find anyone to open up the case. Will be going back this week to get it in my hands.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Rudd,

One resource that hasn't been discussed as yet, is a local camera club. Perhaps, there is a camera club in your neck of the woods. If so, joining one really helps shorten the learning curve. And you don't necessarily have to own a camera to join one.

The major benefit to you is:

Generally speaking, most club members, either use a Canon or Nikon dslr.
ALL members are proud of the equipment they own and are usually very quick to show new members what they have, and why they think it's the best thing going.
You can touch hold feel each camera and review each of your concerns with someone who is enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

On line forum's such as Steve's are a great resource for all things having to do with photography. And, I believe that this forum is the best one on the web. That's why I joined a long time ago and continue to be a member. But, it's not your only resource.

Zig

Didn't even think of a camera club. I have a call in to the local colleges to see if they have some photography classes. Will look for a club. Thanks again Zig.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Best Buy had all of them. They even had the D7000 ...
That is extraordinary.

Quote:
Will be going back this week to get it in my hands.
Try each of them, if you can, with the 18-55 kit lens. Using lenses of the same size and weight will give you a better feel for the the differences in the camera bodies. Having a big, heavy lens on one and a small light lens on another won't allow you to make a fair comparison.

And good luck.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:05 PM   #20

Thank you TCav. All had a very similar lens on them. The 7D had a bigger lens and felt heavier than the rest but it was a slightly better fit, not enough to make the choice over the 60D. Tomorrow I should be able to grab the D7000 and test it out.