Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1

Default Rookie looking for DSLR

Another one of these threads. I have looked at five pages of these threads and there are few which have helped me figure some things out but I have not read enough relevant information to get a clear decision in where I should go.

Uses:
-Portraits, very young family, including dogs.
-Macro shots
-Landscape shots
-Action shots; flying birds, dogs, children

I am very clear on the fact the lenses hold more weight in contributing to better pictures and will have no issues investing in lenses but I need to find a body first.

My experience is VERY limited and will just call it zero. I bought a D70 and some nice lenses several years ago as I was planning to get into photography but they were stolen before I started diving in. This ended up putting me off for several years. Now that I have two young kids I am ready to get going again.

I have no problem buying a body which exceeds my capabilities as I like to be thrown to the wolves and know this is what it will take for me to learn. However, I do not want to get in over my head.

I am a big guy and have large hands, leaving some of the smaller bodies tough for me to hold and mess with the dials/buttons. A larger body camera feels better in my hands.

Without mentioning models I have read about or am interested in I just want to point this discussion towards Canon or Nikon, yes there is a brand I am leaning toward but do not want to sway the opinions by giving my current preference. I want what will be best for me in the long run.

Truth is, I may never go beyond this body and may never utilize 100% of the camera's potential. I would rather have the room to grow than find myself restricted. Yes, I want a balance between not being in over my head and having a camera which will challenge and force me to grow.

Please help.
Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:21 AM   #2

There are several excellent choices available from both Canon and Nikon for what you want to do. The Nikon D90, D7000, and D300s, and the Canon 50D, 60D and 7D should all work well for you, and are all well supported with OEM and third party lenses and accessories.

Have you personally tried any of these cameras?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:26 AM   #3

I have held most of them and played around a with them a little in the store. Do each of them have their own unique features or is there a graduated scale of advancement for each?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:32 AM   #4

hi whats your budget
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:36 AM   #5

I am willing to spend the money to get a good set up. I KNOW I don't need a 10K immediately but wouldn't hesitate to spend 3K-5K.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
I have held most of them and played around a with them a little in the store. Do each of them have their own unique features or is there a graduated scale of advancement for each?
There are some minor differences between Canon and Nikon, and from the lower priced models to the upper end, but those are all relatively esoteric. They are all very good cameras. The most important thing is how you feel about a camera. If you can't comfortably hold it, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots, and you'll be displeased with the camera.

Last edited by TCav; Jan 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:08 PM   #7

Another option ... Olympus E-5 and a lens kit based on the 12-60 mm, the 35 mm macro and maybe the 70-300 (telephoto) or a sigma 24 or 30mm (F1.4 or F1.8)

Take a lok at the Olympus Dslr forum...
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There are several excellent choices available from both Canon and Nikon for what you want to do. The Nikon D90, D7000, and D300s, and the Canon 50D, 60D and 7D should all work well for you, and are all well supported with OEM and third party lenses and accessories.

Have you personally tried any of these cameras?

The 60D and 7D feel the best, with the 7D being better but not by a huge margin. The only one I haven't had the chance to play with is the D7000. Looking at the pictures of the controls and thier location I am sure the D7000 would be a comfortable camera to hold as the objections I had regarding the D90 aren't present on the D7000.

Are there any limiting factors to these three (60D, 7D and D7000) I should consider or are they all so similar i should base my decision on price?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:20 PM   #9

You should remember that buying the body is just the beginning. Many of the lenses and accessories you'll need for what you say you want to do are available for both Canon and Nikon bodies, both from OEMs and third parties. If your choice comes down to price, you should take into account the system price (including all the lenses and accessories you'll need) not just the price of the body.

For that we need to delve deeper. And it only matters if you're certain that you'd be equally comfortable with any of those bodies.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:16 PM   #10

All are within my price range and I am very aware there will be lenses to purchase following the purchase of the body. My question is what makes me decide between the three that I am comfortable with? Once a decision is made then I want to know about the lenses.