Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:30 AM   #1

Default Panasonic DMC-ZR3 or Sony Cybershot W350

Hi all, this is my first post as a new member. I want to get an opinion on buying one of the above cameras. I am getting both at similar price so want to know which one to buy and what are the primary differences apart from panasonic having more optical zoom. Thanks
technoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:06 AM   #2

technoguy-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

There are some trade-offs between these two cameras. If zoom is important to you, the clear choice is the ZR3 with 8X optical zoom, 25mm to 200mm. If slick features are a priority then the W350, with only 4X optical zoom, 26mm to 105mm might have an edge with its "smile shutter" and hand held sweep panorama.

Other factors to consider: the w350 has some edge and corner softness when focused, and the built-in flash on the ZR3 is not very powerful at all.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Sarah. Waht about HD video recording and does W350 also have 25mm wide angle lens. In your personal opinion which one would you go for? I am getting Panasonic for $162, slightly used with charger, battery and Sony for $153, new unused camera without box, also includes - Black Sony Digital Camera, Sony Lithium-Ion N Type Rechargeable Battery, 2GB Sony SD Card, Battery Charger, CD-ROM for Windows (Picture Motion Browser, Cyber-Shot Handbook, & Product Registration) USB/AV Cable, Wrist Strap, & BONUS Sony Gray "Mini Backpack" Camera Carrying Case-3 Compartments with Zippers, Detatchable Strap, & Optional Belt Attachment

I have actually bought and paid for Panasonic and it's on it's way but if Sony is a better deal I can always sell the Panasonic as it is quite expensive here in NZ and I am getting from USA. Thanks

FYI, I was using SONY W90, just sold it off last month. It was a good camera but I wasn't very happy with night shots and macro shots.

After that I tried my hands on DSLR, Sony A230 but they are too bulky & not very handy when you travel, so sold that off too, now I am without a camera
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:55 PM   #4

technoguy-

Both of the cameras are about equal and fairly matched even down to the video, as I covered above.

You missed a chance with the A230. Currently they are "hot" and selling for record prices. It sounds like your Sony past may point you more directly at the W350.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:31 AM   #5

Thanks, I was busy shopping ended up buying Panasonic but my brother just got Sony W350 and we were comparing ours and it seems Sony is taking slightly better pictures or it's just me. I have uploaded both, can you please tell me which one looks better. Tried to take both at the same time and same settings. First one is panasonic and 2nd one is sony, maybe I am using the wrong settings in my panasonic. Thanks

Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:48 AM   #6

I am not generally pleased with Sony's cameras but in this comparison, the Sony pic is the better of the two. However, it would be helpful to see a comparison done at equal ISO to better judge. In the above shots, the Sony is using ISO 80 and the Panasonic is using ISO 125 so all else being equal, we would expect the Sony image to be better due to the lower ISO.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I am not generally pleased with Sony's cameras but in this comparison, the Sony pic is the better of the two. However, it would be helpful to see a comparison done at equal ISO to better judge. In the above shots, the Sony is using ISO 80 and the Panasonic is using ISO 125 so all else being equal, we would expect the Sony image to be better due to the lower ISO.
thanks for the reply. Both cameras were on auto when this shot was taken so shouldn't the ISO settings be same? Why did panasonic decide to set ISO higher than SONY?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:48 PM   #8

That small difference in ISO should be of little or no significance. The quality of the sky would sell me the Sony.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:58 AM   #9

anyone else care to comment?