Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:38 AM   #11

dryspuri-

It is one thing to read a camera's specifications, and quite a different thing to take a pleasing photo with that camera. I think that what has happened is that you are too focused on camera specifications, when you really should be learning a whole lot more about how to take good photos that please you and your family. Please don't feel badly, about 25 years ago I did exactly the same thing.

I don't really think that it is logical or wise to purchase a camera that has more features than you can possibly use. I would save my money for now and concentrate on firstly learning how to take good photos.

This is just my opinion, please bear that in mind. I think it might be better to spent less the 100 pounds sterling and to really learn how to take photos, than to spend 350 to 400 pounds sterling now when you can not properly use the upscale camera that you are purchasing.

Purchase a simple, but very able camera like the Canon 3100 or the Kodak Z915, if you prefer more zoom, and learn the craft of photography. I am afraid it would be a waste of money to encourage you to purchase a Panasonic FZ100, when right now you have not yet master sufficient photo skills to take advantage of that camera's features.

You must lear to walk first before you can run.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:50 AM   #12

FZ38 and learn it well then move to the next level...I had to go backwards to the FZ38 (FZ35 in US)...it was worth it...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
dryspuri-

It is one thing to read a camera's specifications, and quite a different thing to take a pleasing photo with that camera. I think that what has happened is that you are too focused on camera specifications, when you really should be learning a whole lot more about how to take good photos that please you and your family. Please don't feel badly, about 25 years ago I did exactly the same thing.

I don't really think that it is logical or wise to purchase a camera that has more features than you can possibly use. I would save my money for now and concentrate on firstly learning how to take good photos.

This is just my opinion, please bear that in mind. I think it might be better to spent less the 100 pounds sterling and to really learn how to take photos, than to spend 350 to 400 pounds sterling now when you can not properly use the upscale camera that you are purchasing.

Purchase a simple, but very able camera like the Canon 3100 or the Kodak Z915, if you prefer more zoom, and learn the craft of photography. I am afraid it would be a waste of money to encourage you to purchase a Panasonic FZ100, when right now you have not yet master sufficient photo skills to take advantage of that camera's features.

You must lear to walk first before you can run.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the input sarah, i know now what to do, i m going for fz 40/45 & i m gonna learn, i will not go for z915, as i m confident i will be able to justify cost, rather than that, i m very happy that i found this forum, which is quite happening & informative source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
FZ38 and learn it well then move to the next level...I had to go backwards to the FZ38 (FZ35 in US)...it was worth it...
thanks for your input..
dryspuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:45 AM   #14

Sensor sizes have not increased in compact cameras, but they are used to produce images with more and more megapixels. Sometimes, because of advances in processing technology, it doesn't result in reduced image quality - there isn't more "noise" at lower ISO settings and there aren't clipped highlights or shadows. However, in many cases there is. So many camera enthusiasts wish that camera manufacturers would work less on adding megapixels and more on improving image quality and performance.
I agree with both Sarah and LTZ. I gave a Kodak Z915 to a good friend and she loves it. It has a 10X zoom and all kinds of features and isn't too expensive. The FZ35 is a very good camera, one generation back for Panasonic superzooms. It it easy to use but zooms from 27-486mm and has decent image quality even at ISO 800. It also has all the manual controls you could ask for. It would give you a chance to learn a lot about photography before moving on to another superzoom or DSLR.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
Sensor sizes have not increased in compact cameras, but they are used to produce images with more and more megapixels. Sometimes, because of advances in processing technology, it doesn't result in reduced image quality - there isn't more "noise" at lower ISO settings and there aren't clipped highlights or shadows. However, in many cases there is. So many camera enthusiasts wish that camera manufacturers would work less on adding megapixels and more on improving image quality and performance.
I agree with both Sarah and LTZ. I gave a Kodak Z915 to a good friend and she loves it. It has a 10X zoom and all kinds of features and isn't too expensive. The FZ35 is a very good camera, one generation back for Panasonic superzooms. It it easy to use but zooms from 27-486mm and has decent image quality even at ISO 800. It also has all the manual controls you could ask for. It would give you a chance to learn a lot about photography before moving on to another superzoom or DSLR.
thanks, whats ur opinion about nikon p100
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:33 PM   #16

dryspuri

The Nikon P100 is a poor camera, which show a lot of noise even at the lowest ISO setting available. It has uniformly received fair to poor reviews.

robbo-

You raise a good point and I surely do agree with it. Thanks to the lesser number of pixels, 12mp instead of the 14mp found on the FZ40/45, the photo quality and numerically high ISO capability of the FZ35/38 may indeed be better than the FZ40.

The FZ35/38's current low price also makes it very attractive as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
dryspuri

The Nikon P100 is a poor camera, which show a lot of noise even at the lowest ISO setting available. It has uniformly received fair to poor reviews.

robbo-

You raise a good point and I surely do agree with it. Thanks to the lesser number of pixels, 12mp instead of the 14mp found on the FZ40/45, the photo quality and numerically high ISO capability of the FZ35/38 may indeed be better than the FZ40.

The FZ35/38's current low price also makes it very attractive as well.

Sarah Joyce
Dear Sarah, thanks for ur comments, I cant find cheaper fz 38, at least not in uk amazon, are there any UK people know where i will get it, u know its cost is higher than fz 40 in amazon, & i can get it in ebay but its not reliable, in terms of after sell.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:21 PM   #18

dryspuri

Our joint recommendation was based on the fact that the FZ35 is almost $50 less in cost than the FZ40 here in the USA. If indeed the FZ45 is less in cost than the FZ38 in the UK, then purchase the FZ40.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:28 PM   #19

If you buy the FZ40, good for you, and I think you will like it. If you are willing to go on Ebay, you can find a few new FZ38 cameras for around 200 pounds with warranties (some for 90 days with the seller and I imagine at least a year with Panasonic. One had a year warranty and you had one week to return the camera if you didn't like it).

You asked good questions. Now go for whatever you decide and take pictures and enjoy!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:32 PM   #20

dryspuri-

It means this:due to the increased pixel density in a 14mp imager there is inherently more noise generated as the ISO setting is numerically increased. A 10mp or 12mp imager will produce less noise at the same ISO settings than a 14mp imager.

Sarah Joyce