Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Thinking of DSLR but wondering if it is overkill

I currently have a Panasonic fz-28 and think it is great. Nice zoom, fast sports mode (like 11-13 shots per second at reduced size which doesn’t matter to us since we don’t print), good iA feature, good overall IQ. With that in mind I am looking ideally for a small camera to keep around the house out in the open for quick shots of the baby etc.
I am drawn to the Sony Hx5v, Panasonic Zr1 and a few others but these two seem to have the fastest full autofocus shutter speed… this takes me to the crux of my question. Everyone seems to recommend a DSLR as the only way to go for fast auto focus and minimal shutter lag which if that is the case then I am all for upgrading but when I look at some of the performance specs I just don’t see it with the entry level DSLR’s that would be in my price range for example: CNET rates the Rebel T1i as having .3 typical shutter lag and .6 dim light shutter lag, the Hx5V is .4 and .8 respectively zr1 is .4 and .6….. so what gives?
What are anyone’s thoughts on the camera’s I have mentioned or other P&S that are very fast? Will I really see a huge difference in these times in practice? I know that the IQ will be no comparison especially if I were to crop, enhance, blow up, or print large pictures but the fact is that I don’t so is a DSLR overkill for me at this point?
ckbodden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:03 PM   #2

ckbodden-

The biggest reason to consider a DSLR is the advantages provided by the DSLR's larger imager. It has no effect on focus time, but it does give the availability of numerically higher ISO speeds, with measurably less visible noise.

Focus time is a component of the focus system employed by the camera. The other issue is this: is the decidedly larger kit size of a DSLR camera acceptable to you??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:20 PM   #3

Sarah-
I don't really have a problem with the larger kit size. If I do go to DSLR I will probably just sell the fz-28 and still get a small P&S to carry around
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:24 PM   #4

ckbodden-

Then it sounds like you are a good DSLR candidate.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:50 AM   #5

Hi and welcome I know I used to worry about carrying a DSLR around but I soon forgot about it I carry a T2i/550d around with me all the time I really don't find it any worse than my previous camera. What i do get are good pictures which was my reason for getting the DSLR in the first place. My yest ground was last year walking round disney and seaward with the grand kids. Hope this helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Ok so more specifically in regards to a DSLR are there any that are more user friendly than others?
The ones I have been looking at are
Rebel T1i
Pentax K-x &
Sony Alpha a390

Any of these I would get one of the basic kits with XX-55mm lens and probably the kit telephoto lens.
The canon would be refurbished to keep the price in line with the others.
With these three in mind which one is the most newbie friendly and which ones have the best lens kit that I would most likely be fine with for a few years?

thanks again
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:59 PM   #7

Hi I think its time to go to a shop and play with them. I find canon easy to use but others will say nikon and others sony or pentad its a lot o do with what you are used to.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote