Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:34 AM   #11

Most of the big manufacturers have already announced their upcoming cams and once again the trend is towards more MP on the same tony sensors which means worse pixel density and more noise. That Olympus cam I mentioned is the only really promising contender amongst the S95/G12/LX5/TL500 class.

My biggest complaint about the S95 is probably the trouble it has with white balance under incandescent lighting. I really have to use manual WB (no auto or presets) in my home to get the colors to look right. I nearly always use AWB outdoors though and have been very pleased with it. Even when it's a little off (cool/warm) in terms of accuracy, it always looks favorable, which is typical of Canon color.

I own the ZS7 (successor to the ZS3) and the S95 is indeed considerably better in low light. Here's one more shot from the S95, this time at ISO 640 in dim lighting. I sharpened it slightly in Photoshop which has brought out the noise a little more but I prefer that as things get a little soft at ISO 640.

Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:34 AM   #12

5-O it seems the OP is looking at decent movies also...is the LX5 a better choice than the S95?
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Most of the big manufacturers have already announced their upcoming cams and once again the trend is towards more MP on the same tony sensors which means worse pixel density and more noise. That Olympus cam I mentioned is the only really promising contender amongst the S95/G12/LX5/TL500 class.

My biggest complaint about the S95 is probably the trouble it has with white balance under incandescent lighting. I really have to use manual WB (no auto or presets) in my home to get the colors to look right. I nearly always use AWB outdoors though and have been very pleased with it. Even when it's a little off (cool/warm) in terms of accuracy, it always looks favorable, which is typical of Canon color.

I own the ZS7 (successor to the ZS3) and the S95 is indeed considerably better in low light. Here's one more shot from the S95, this time at ISO 640 in dim lighting. I sharpened it slightly in Photoshop which has brought out the noise a little more but I prefer that as things get a little soft at ISO 640.
That is a most enormous image. Aren't there any limits on the site as to what can be posted?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
5-O it seems the OP is looking at decent movies also...is the LX5 a better choice than the S95?
I mentioned that one also but he said he wanted something ZS3-sized or smaller. He'll have to choose between the movies and the size though for now, unless that Olympus turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
That is a most enormous image. Aren't there any limits on the site as to what can be posted?
It's actually not enormous. It's the same size as the most common desktop background size; 1920x1080. Also, it is not attached to the post so the size limits of attached images don't apply. What should happen is that a scroll bar should appear but with large'ish forums like this one, ironically, there typically is no active coder to handle these things.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
FiveO
I love the pics you have posted of your Shepherd, beautiful pics of a beautiful dog.
Thank you. I have 4 dogs in total but I guess it's pretty obvious that this beautiful girl is my favorite.