Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:00 PM   #11

What kind of settings are we looking at? Im using the P mode.. and I'm not sure I quite understand all the settings. Can someone direct me as to what settings to keep in order to get the best shots in a concert or low light environment without noise and graininess?

Secondly.. from what I'm seeing here.. the SX120 won't really be much of a help compared to the Kodak I have. So what option do I have around $150 which is capable of taking low light shots? Please don't recommend cameras upward of that budget.. because I'm not in the US and the cameras around $150 are around $200 or more here.

I don't think I'm wanting to buy the S1500 anymore.. The Kodak I got is very pocketable and I'm liking that so I'd want something I can keep in my pocket. Also I love the 10x zoom. I don't have to go close to the stage to get those shots anymore. It's fun.

Really want some good options thrown at.

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it.
Jozurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:20 PM   #12

Jozurr, I hope one of the more knowledgeable members will come by and respond, especially somebody who has or has used the camera. But I'm just about 100% positive you're not going to get the best performance you can out of that camera under the conditions you shoot by just using program mode.... You will likely need to adjust your sensitivity settings, your white balance setting, and possibly your "quality" settings. I don't know how many settings that camera has for each of those parameters, but I think you should be able to manually adjust them to better handle your shooting situation. There may be a specific scene mode that will work, or you may need to, for example, use aperture priority mode instead of program. Not knowing that camera and not having any experience, or not much, anyway, shooting at concerts, I'm not much help. But I bet you can get better shots than you are now.

To get really fantastic shots in those situations, you'd really need to upgrade quite a bit, I think, from either of the Kodak or Canon cameras you've mentioned. But if that's not an option, I'd try working with the camera you have. Also, it is still probably going to "fuzz out" at the very end of the zoom range.
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:21 AM   #13

I should have added in my previous post, so I wouldn't be misunderstood, that adjusting your white balance won't cure the specific problems you mentioned, but may give you overall more pleasing shots....
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:40 AM   #14

Ok I get what you're saying. In a nutshell, there won't be a proper upgrade unless I'm willing to spend much more. Which I'm not wanting to do right now. So you're saying I need to "learn" to take better shots. I can definitely try that!

Could you guide me where to start and what to do? Im a complete n00b at this.

Thank you for all the posts amc654. They're been of great help in making my mind up!
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:50 AM   #15

I don't know how much help I've really been, but check out the Kodak-specific forums and see if the folks there can help you! Yes, I think you'd need to spend more than your budget to get an "easier" solution to your situation.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Anne-

Please keep in mind that Jozurr, the OP, is attempting to shoot his photos in a concert type photo environment, which has very low light levels. That is really the kind of a photo environment that requires a DSLR camera with much higher numerical ISO capabilities.

The graininess, unfortunately, from the Kodak Z915, is to be expected in such severe, low lighting situations. It would also happen with the Canon SX120, and it would be virtually impossible for the Fuji S1500 or S2000.

The only answer is to get better quality photos in a concert type photo environment, you will have to use a much more capable and expensive camera taking you into the $300 camera range.

Sarah Joyce
What exactly do you mean by virtually impossible for the S1500 or S2000?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
I don't know how much help I've really been, but check out the Kodak-specific forums and see if the folks there can help you! Yes, I think you'd need to spend more than your budget to get an "easier" solution to your situation.
Im trying to "learn" how to take pics with my camera. Let's see =)