Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:47 PM   #1

Default Canon SX120IS vs Finepix S1500 vs Finepix S2000HD

Im looking at these three cameras which are available in my country. The canon is a little expensive compared to both the finepix cameras but is the only one of the three which comes with warranty. Other than that.. could you guys tell me which is a better camera overall? Which one has better picture quality? which will have better sound in the videos? Im starting to like photography.. and I need a camera to start with... Please help me out. Detailed replies will be appreciated. Thanks.
Jozurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:02 PM   #2

shot this with my old s1500 i used to have i liked the camera but i upgraded to a nikon d3000 dslr
Attached Images

zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:20 PM   #3

jozurr-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

You did not mention the country in which you live. The Canon SX120 and the newer SX130 would provide the best image quality as well as a warranty, which I believe is important as well.

The Fuji S-series of inexpensive super zooms have not been rated well in professional camera reviews. More users of those S-series cameras are unhappy with their camera than happy with them.

I have attached a photo taken with my SX-120.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:36 PM   #4

Thank you for the quick replies and the warm welcome. Which camera performs better in low light conditions? I'll be taking alot of shots of concerts and events at night so I might need the better picture quality in low light conditions. The canon IXUS 120 and the sony DSC-W350 and the kodak Z915 are other options I can look into. Could you tell me how those are compared to the original 3 I listed and which one would be the best for me?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:52 PM   #5

Jozurr-

The Canon SX120 can shoot at ISO 800 easily, and ISO 1600 when you must get the shot.The kodak Z-915 can do the same and that might save you some money.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:47 AM   #6

I went ahead and saved myself the money and got the Kodak Z915. However I'm unhappy with the graininess in the images in low light conditions and the noise when taking videos in low light. I'm thinking of selling it off and upgrading to the Canon SX120IS. Do you think it performs better under low light? Is the price difference justifiable? Im pleased with the sound quality in the video recordings taken with the Z915.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:15 AM   #7

Have you made all the proper in-camera setting adjustments?

I tried out both of these cameras at one point and am not sure there's enough difference between the two of them to justify upgrading from the Kodak to the Canon. My sister, who was a photography student, uses a slightly older Kodak model in the same class as yours, and gets amazing shots. She's very happy with hers.

I am not as expert as others here who have responded, but I would think you could get better image quality out of your Kodak than what you describe.
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:10 PM   #8

Anne-

Please keep in mind that Jozurr, the OP, is attempting to shoot his photos in a concert type photo environment, which has very low light levels. That is really the kind of a photo environment that requires a DSLR camera with much higher numerical ISO capabilities.

The graininess, unfortunately, from the Kodak Z915, is to be expected in such severe, low lighting situations. It would also happen with the Canon SX120, and it would be virtually impossible for the Fuji S1500 or S2000.

The only answer is to get better quality photos in a concert type photo environment, you will have to use a much more capable and expensive camera taking you into the $300 camera range.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:59 PM   #9

Ah, I completely missed his second post that the majority of the photos would be used in a concert environment--my bad! You are right, of course. I shoot in low light, but not as low as that, so I can see why he is having a problem.... Anyway, the Canon, as I suspected and you have verified, wouldn't really give him much over the Kodak (I do think the better Kodak models, from what I've seen, are good choices for people on a budget--I almost got one at one point; liked the way it handled, but felt a little small in my hand).
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:00 PM   #10

well the pic i posted was using a s1500 at a concert
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote