Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Huh?? The S95 is about as good as it gets in terms of IQ among all compact digicams, regardless of mode. Sensor quality doesn't change from mode to mode. With any camera, if you leave it all to the camera in full auto, you will generally get just ok results. The s95 is going to perform better in low light, which will help the op for indoor situations (like he will be shooting his baby in). If budget isn't a concern, the S95 is a great choice. And if the OP could just take a little bit of time to get to learn the various modes (and it really won't take much...even just using one of the many scene modes will improve results measurably) things will get even better.

Also, I'd be cautious with the earlier advice of just "adjusting shutter speed" to the appropriate value. This can often lead to underexposure if you don't change other settings (raising ISO and/or using larger aperture). Just raising shutter speed, without other adjustments, effectively reduces light, creating darker images.
Thanks. Budget is not a concern as I want the best IQ possible with out having to do a lot of adjusting in manual mode. I just don't want a camera that is difficult to operate. I am not at all familiar with setting manual setting which is why I think I would plan to use it in Auto. If I was to take a picture in low light what setting would I use?
jennu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:54 AM   #12

jennu-

I own and extensively use the Canon SD4000 and find that it works consistently and without fail in the automatic mode while producing very good photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennu View Post
Thanks. Budget is not a concern as I want the best IQ possible with out having to do a lot of adjusting in manual mode. I just don't want a camera that is difficult to operate. I am not at all familiar with setting manual setting which is why I think I would plan to use it in Auto. If I was to take a picture in low light what setting would I use?
The S95 is certainly among the best in Image Quality. While it has a fully manual mode, you don't need to use it to take advantage of it's capabilities and larger sensor. The S95 has many scene modes...sports, nighttime portrait, beach, etc...i think close to 20 overall. While not always perfect, it does set the camera up to work well in those situations. You won't have to do any adjusting, other than selecting the mode. These specific modes will help you deal with tougher conditions where auto may not work so well.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Also, I'd be cautious with the earlier advice of just "adjusting shutter speed" to the appropriate value. This can often lead to underexposure if you don't change other settings (raising ISO and/or using larger aperture). Just raising shutter speed, without other adjustments, effectively reduces light, creating darker images.
Actually, I don't really use shutter priority at all indoors. Although the S95 has a larger-than-average sensor, it's still small and you're pretty limited on how much motion you can capture indoors while still retaining IQ.

Anyway, ISO is set to auto (limited to 640 or 800 depending on conditions) and I rarely see a need to change it. The S95 does a good job of selecting an appropriate ISO most of the time in relation to its capabilities. In low light, I shoot w/ the aperture wide open as much as possible and I would recommend the same for any P&S. Regardless, the entire point of shutter priority is that you let the camera adjusts everything else for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennu View Post
If I was to take a picture in low light what setting would I use?
As I stated in my earlier post, I shoot 99% of my shots in Program Auto. Same goes for low light.