Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1

Default Canon s95 - worth the $ if only using Auto

I have narrowed my search down to 2 models the canon s95 and the sony hx5.

I will most likely only use Auto with what ever camera i decide to buy. My main issue is that I have an 8 month old baby and the very old camera i have has such a slow shutter speed that I can never get a picture of him smiling.

Is it worth the money to get the s95 if I am only going to use it on Auto mode. I really don't see myself playing around with all the different options.

The thing I like about the hx5 is the fast shutter speed and 10 frames per second.

I really do not know a whole lot about camera lingo, ISO etc.. I just want a good camera that is going to take great pictures of my baby.

Please advise.
jennu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:59 PM   #2

Yes if you are looking for low light shooting especially without a flash. And it does have higher image quality the the hx5v. As it has a larger sensor. Not taking anything form the hx5v, which is a very good travel zoom. But for it does not stack up to the s95 in low light image quality. Even in full auto.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:29 AM   #3

I use my S95 in Program Auto 99% of the time and am very happy with the output. I also own the HX5V and a ZS7. The HX5V is the only one of the 3 that I don't highly recommend.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:18 PM   #4

If you really want to use the Auto Mode, the Canon SD4000 might be a better choice and save you some $$ as well. The S95 just does not do its best in the Auto Mode.

Naturally, I am sure your next question is: OK, but what does the image quality of the SD4000 look like??

Here is an indoor photo taken without flash from the SD4000.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The S95 just does not do its best in the Auto Mode.
This is blown way out of proportion on the net though. As I said, I use Program Auto 99% of the time and am very pleased with the results. If I had to make a complaint, it would be that the camera often chooses too slow a shutter for moving subjects. In that case I switch over to shutter priority and set it to an appropriate value. Everything else remains set the same as it was in Program Auto.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:46 PM   #6

Five-0-

I agree 100% with you. I was attempting to convey that using Full Auto produces a bit less image quality than using the the "P" or Programed Auto Mode. That situation is a contrast to the SD4000, that was specifically designed for Auto Only users.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. Sarah Joyce - What about the SD 4500? Is there a big difference between the SD 4000 and 4500?
jennu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennu View Post
Thanks for the info. Sarah Joyce - What about the SD 4500? Is there a big difference between the SD 4000 and 4500?
The lens on the SD4000 is a full stop brighter than the lens on the SD4500, which will affect low light picture quality (such as indoor shots without flash). You do get more zoom on the SD4500 however.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:15 PM   #9

jennu-

Five-0 covered the SD4500 very nicely. The SD4000 with its F 2.0 lens has much more low light capability than the SD4500 with its slower lens. The SD4500 is a good camera, but it would be incorrect to see it as a low light level capable camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-0-

I agree 100% with you. I was attempting to convey that using Full Auto produces a bit less image quality than using the the "P" or Programed Auto Mode. That situation is a contrast to the SD4000, that was specifically designed for Auto Only users.

Sarah Joyce
Huh?? The S95 is about as good as it gets in terms of IQ among all compact digicams, regardless of mode. Sensor quality doesn't change from mode to mode. With any camera, if you leave it all to the camera in full auto, you will generally get just ok results. The s95 is going to perform better in low light, which will help the op for indoor situations (like he will be shooting his baby in). If budget isn't a concern, the S95 is a great choice. And if the OP could just take a little bit of time to get to learn the various modes (and it really won't take much...even just using one of the many scene modes will improve results measurably) things will get even better.

Also, I'd be cautious with the earlier advice of just "adjusting shutter speed" to the appropriate value. This can often lead to underexposure if you don't change other settings (raising ISO and/or using larger aperture). Just raising shutter speed, without other adjustments, effectively reduces light, creating darker images.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote