Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes View Post
I was also making a similar search. The Panasonic LX5 and the Olympus XZ1 both have the biggest sensors as far as I can see.

But I was reading the dpreview.com preview of the latter and it implies that although the sensor is big it is not being fully utilised so might be no better in practice than smaller competitors.

Have a look yourself and see what you make of it. The English is a bit tortured and evasive if you ask me (second paragraph):
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusXZ1/page3.asp
What you really should be reading is the full Review posted just days ago at DPReview. The XZ1 received their Gold Award.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusXZ1/

A couple of points that should not go un-noticed.

1-The XZ1 has the fastest lens currently available. The significance of this is that in low light shooting, you can maintain a relatively lower ISO setting - resulting in less noise.
2- The sensor is not the whole story when it comes to IQ. The processing engine currently being used by Olympus combined with the sensor provides really good jpegs straight out of the camera.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Another not previously mentioned the Canon G11/G12.

Sarah Joyce
I have a Canon G12. Very happy with it. I agree with Sarah.

I have one caution...while you can just leave it on automatic, it does have provision to change camera settings, through manual controls.

Those features really appeal to me and as a long time, avid enthusiast this is the kind of camera I want.

So it depends on your level of interest and expertise. If you are an enthusiast...this is the one....if not, maybe the Canon S95.

But the G11/G12...I find it to be a fabulous little camera that has the potential to really expand your photography....if you have the desire to go that way.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:57 PM   #13

im no expert but the finepix f550exr looks pretty awesome...........

bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:00 PM   #14

bryman-

I surely do respect your opinion regarding the Fuji F550exr. However, having used an EXR camera extensively myself, you might want to investigate why multiple (actually way too many) manual adjustments are required to get the best image quality out of the EXR system.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:45 AM   #15

simple fact with the olympus xz1 even at 4x zoom it is at 2.5. Still wider then some 1/1.7 sensor cams at 1x zoom. So if low light shooting is important 1.8-2.5 can not be match by any other digicam on the market and match that with the 1.7 and it is a pretty effective combo for low light shooting.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 26, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes View Post
I was also making a similar search. The Panasonic LX5 and the Olympus XZ1 both have the biggest sensors as far as I can see.

But I was reading the dpreview.com preview of the latter and it implies that although the sensor is big it is not being fully utilised so might be no better in practice than smaller competitors.

Have a look yourself and see what you make of it. The English is a bit tortured and evasive if you ask me (second paragraph):
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusXZ1/page3.asp
The reviewer states: "The 1/1.63" sensor sounds like it should be slightly larger than the one that appears in the rest of its peer group (The Canons, Samsung and Nikon appear to share very similar 1/1.7" sensors). However, the other 1/1.63" sensor we know is in the Panasonic LX5, which doesn't ever use the full area of its chip (instead it uses different regions of the sensor to offer a range of aspect ratios with the same angle-of-view). Our suspicion is that the Olympus is using a similar chip. If this is the case, then unlike the Panasonic, it doesn't use areas of the sensor outside the 4:3 crop, meaning the area of the chip being used isn't significantly larger than the cameras it competes against."

You seem to have misinterpreted this paragraph somewhat. The cameras it is "compet[ing] against" are the cameras with the 1/1.7" sensors, not the smaller 1/2.33" sensor cameras. There is little difference in low light performance between the LX5 and S95 and thus I would expect the same with the XZ1. This comparison is of course in terms of full wide. Once you zoom in, the XZ1 obviously has an edge due to the lens, especially in comparison to the S95 which shuts down quite a bit by the time you hit full zoom.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
bryman-

I surely do respect your opinion regarding the Fuji F550exr. However, having used an EXR camera extensively myself, you might want to investigate why multiple (actually way too many) manual adjustments are required to get the best image quality out of the EXR system.
Why do you say that ? Please give some more details about this type of sensors/cameras.

I want a camera with a better sensor than the one Panasonic TZ5 has (my current camera).

Fuji F550EXR impressed me with their specs but will it offer me automatic images better than my TZ5?

Will the larger area of the light sensor be obvious in the image quiality?

Or will the differences be minor?
East17 is offline   Reply With Quote