Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Camera with optical zoom in movie mode

I need a digital camera with decent optical zoom, more than 10MP and that can make HD movies also. Most importantly, in movie mode I must be able to use the "optical zoom". I do not like Panasonic ZS7 because of the movie format they use. Any suggestions for cameras less than $300?
Eye4Camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:12 PM   #2

First, why do you need more than 10MP? Are you going to be printing huge poster size prints? Otherwise, more MP will only degrade overall image quality.

What's the issue with AVCHD? A few years ago it wasn't widely supported but now every decent mainstream movie editing program supports it. AVCHD is the best movie format in use in consumer products currently in terms of image quality/bitrate.

Anyway, check out the Canon SD4500 or SD4000. The SD4000 will do a little better in low light at the cost of zoom. Canon uses the H.264 codec w/ the MOV extension.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:26 PM   #3

Thanks FiveO for your recommendations. I am confused at your remark "more MP will only degrade overall image quality". Why would that be?
Eye4Camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye4Camera View Post
Thanks FiveO for your recommendations. I am confused at your remark "more MP will only degrade overall image quality". Why would that be?
As the sensors remain the same size and the MP increases, the pixels get smaller. This smaller light gathering surface negatively impacts low light ability and overall IQ suffers as well. Note the difference in IQ between the S95/LX5/TL500 (all 10MP) compared to any 14-16MP P&S cameras on the market now, especially in low light, such as indoors without flash.