Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:00 AM   #21

you know the commercial "droid, the phone that does"? I want a camera that does.

Thinking about that special area of photography like weather a person likes macro or sports better I really can't decide. If I was to look at the types of photography like my children I would say that I can't pick favorites. I have been into photography for a couple of years now and I know for sure three things and that is that my skills have improved a lot, I have really fallen in love with photography, and there are two styles that I don't care for, one is vintage photography where they take a photo that is suppose to look old or the photography where people are trying to find some meaning to the photograph like in documentaries where they are talking about specific photographers, like for instance there is a stripe between two buildings and people want there to be a special meaning to the photograph. I guess Im like an exactist painter, I photograph what is. Not to say that I don't sometimes photoshop my images to sometimes to give it my own (almost unrealistic) "creative exposure", I just don't go for the abstract thinking. Anyway, I have no one favorite type because its always changing. I go through a constant state of change because I am always inspired by everything around me weather its something I am looking at in real life or in someone elses photograph.

Heres a photograph that I absolutely love December 23, 2010: Looking to the Sky (December 23, 2010: Looking to the Sky) (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ph...oking-sky.html) its is from the photo contest. I would like to know how he took this photograph and what he did in his post editor.
Photoshop CS5

Last edited by Trihame; Jan 11, 2011 at 1:40 AM.
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:34 AM   #22

a 2x will work on the 5d2 as long as you lens is f4 or better, if not the lens will not AF. This is true for aps-c cameras as well.

APS-c is smaller then the FF sensor of the 5D2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

The larger the sensor the more details it can capture. And the cleaner it will be at higher iso. And it gives you so much dof control also.

Most dslr on the market are aps-c. And there are some really good ones out there like the pentax k-5, the canon 7D, canon 60D, nikon d7000 and d300.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:42 AM   #23

thats one thing I have noticed with my K-x. I can't get the dpf that I want when I compare my photos to others.
Photoshop CS5
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:05 AM   #24
Super Moderator

There are no real cameras that are good enough to last for 10 years. Not really. A Canon 1DMkIV or Nikon D3x would probably do, but you don't like them because they are too big.

You seem to be determined to spend the money on the camera not the lenses too, which is very odd.

There is another way of looking at the whole business. Instead of trying to spend now and be happy forever, how about you set yourself an annual budget? This stuff depreciates. Digital cameras should generally be depreciated over 2-4 years depending on usage. Lenses - well generally you can count on depreciating those over 10 years, but sometimes supply and demand can mean that there are significant fluctuations around the trend line.

All you have said so far is that your current camera's AF isn't good enough.

You don't have any specific needs, you just like to take "all kinds" of pictures. In that kind of scenario most people will recommend that you allocate around 2/3 to 3/4 of your budget on lenses.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that the Canon 5DMkII is a top-of-the-line camera. It's not. It's a middle range body with a top of the range sensor. The 7D body is probably better in most ways than the 5DMkII.

I recommend that you get yourself a Pentax K-5 and a few new lenses to play with. That way you will have a nice backup camera and lots to be getting on with.

Quote:
thats one thing I have noticed with my K-x. I can't get the dpf that I want when I compare my photos to others.
Which is mostly because you are using the wrong lenses. The best investment you can make at the moment is in a good photography course. :-)

Last edited by peripatetic; Jan 11, 2011 at 2:07 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:48 AM   #25

I agree with you on the photography class however I am fighting for time right now and I have other obligations at the moment.

why would you say that the 7D body is better? I am looking for a camera that will be easy to transport so I don't want a big camera, I don't want the camera to do superb in one area but be lacking on the other end. I would rather have a good camera the performs equal well in all areas.

I know that the 5D2 is not canon's top of the line flagship camera but I don't think I need anything "better" than the 5D2. I like the camera because it will give me better control with a wider range of that control, also I won't be doing professional photography for at least the next 4 to 8 years either. I guess that I am going for this camera because it seems to be the best all around camera and will be easier to transport because I can take the external battery pack on and off.

As I said before the AF on the pentax is slow, but also, Im not 100% sure but I don't think that there is a corded remote for the camera, I don't like having to have the IR remote in front of the camera to operate all the time, there is no extended battery pack available for the K-x, I think I would rather not have to use AA batteries, it has a short memory for burst mode, the camera itself does not have a photo stitch function, It does not shoot in full HD, Pentax accessories are more limited then Canon's, more people use canon so it will be easier to find accessories for used or new cheaper, and thats just some of the other reasons why I want to upgrade.
Photoshop CS5

Last edited by Trihame; Jan 11, 2011 at 4:18 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:26 AM   #26

Would the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E4A work the same as an Eye-fi sd card? I want to be able to wirelessly transmit photos to an iPad out in the field so that I can view them on the larger screen. Does anyone know if this transmitter will work with a mobile wifi router and an iPad?
Photoshop CS5
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:38 AM   #27

You're going from a bottom end consumer cam to a high end, professional camera. You'd be making things a heck of a lot bigger and heavier and much more expensive. And without a good idea of what you're doing, you won't get any better images. The 5Dmk2 is a great camera...but it's not really an all around camera...great for landscapes, portraits, not so great for sports/action. Like Peri said, the 7d is probably a better all around camera, but even that isn't going to get you better images without a good understanding of photography. High end bodies make getting the image easier if you know what your doing...more control, speed, customization etc. All that gets in the way for the average shooter.

And since you're looking at a full frame camera, your lens choices get much more expensive, as hanging a consumer lens on a full frame body is pretty much a waste of time and money. Full frame is nice, but I think it's pure overkill and indulgence for the average shooter, just looking to capture family moments and the occasional travel photo.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:18 AM   #28
Super Moderator

This is absolutely true. If you don't know what you are doing, chances are that a more expensive camera is going to make your pictures worse, not better.

Why do you need an extended battery pack? If you want the vertical grip then why not go for a 1D? If you don't need the vertical grip then changing batteries a couple of times a day is not an issue, you will probably be changing cards at least as often.

But the main problem at the moment is very likely not with your equipment, but rather with your skill level. Buying a pro camera is not going to help with that, rather it will make you more frustrated because you will have spent a load of money and still not be taking pictures that satisfy you.

I don't want to discourage you from buying any camera you fancy. Cameras are great fun, and you don't need to be an expert to own an expensive camera.

From the overall information imparted by your posts I would actually suggest that you go for the Canon 7D instead. It's a better all-round camera than the 5D. Add the 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 L f2.8 IS, 100mm f2.8 L Macro. That will keep you going for a while, and give you plenty of room to experiment secure in the knowledge that if your pictures are not good enough then it's not the camera's fault.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
If you are not happy with the dof, a big prime lens or a big aperture zoom would help greatly with dof.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you are not happy with the dof, a big prime lens or a big aperture zoom would help greatly with dof.
Yes it will....at least in blurring the background. It also makes DOF razor thin, making it harder to have the entire subject in focus. Also shooting wide open in bright light will require the use of ND filters to prevent overexposure when trying to use the largest apertures. And large aperture lenses are notoriously soft wide open. In other words, it takes some skill to use large aperture lenses and get good results...unless your only worried about blurring the background

There are other ways to get blurred backgrounds that will yield better results than just simply grabbing an f1.8 or f1.4 lens, opening it up and firing away. Using longer focal lengths (in the 85-105mm range), and increasing subject to background distance will give you the same blurred backgrounds with sharper results. There are plenty of photographers out there getting subject isolation from background with APS-C sized DSLR's and even point and shoots without shooting at f1.8
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote