Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:43 PM   #31

Shoturtle, what do you mean "big prime lens"?

Thanks guys for the tip on the 7D, that was what I was trying to ask for in the beginning. I wanted opinions on what was Canon's best "all around camera" and if Canon offered one that was better than the 5D2. I admit I don't know much at all of stuff like that.

Its true I have a lot that I need to learn in photography and my biggest lacking in knowledge is in the technical aspects of it all as far as the hardware. I havn't had the chance to play around with a lot of equipment.

As far as my current images, I am very happy with the results of my images but when I compare my images to other peoples and research how they got that exposure I often come back to the same conclusion that my gear can't perform on that level. After all I am using a $500 dollar camera with a kit lens and then another $250 lens. I agree that better lenses would help out a lot with the clarity of the image and what I have been trying to say is that it creates a delima in the fact that I don't want to stay with pentax, I would rather move to canon because there are more things out there for canon cameras and I don't want to invest all this money in a pentax when I will eventually be switching over.

Anyway, peripatetic, why did you choose the 100mm as the prime? would you say that the 100mm is easier to work with than the 50mm per say?
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:06 AM   #32

if you add the FA 50 1.4 to you pentax. It will really let have some fun with shallow dof. The lenses you haver are pretty dark so it is hard to have allot of dof control, and very easy with a 1.4 lens.

What do you like shoot, the 7D is a excellent camera, but it is bigger and heavier. And do you need all those features? It does af better then the 5D2, but is does not have as good image quality compare to the FF sensor of the 5d2. So it is really hard to say it is better. Each is better suited for certain type of photography.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:11 AM   #33

this is what a big aperture lens can do shooting wide open with the dof. You can really blur out the background. And it is even easier with a full frame sensor with a big aperture. You get allot of control with a 5d2.

The shot was taken with a canon t1i with a ok lens ef 50 1.8. It is not as good as the FA 50 1.4 form pentax or the ef 50 1.4 from canon. But it show you how you can through the background out of focus with the right lens.
Attached Images

Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:36 AM   #34

I think that I am definitely am more concerned with quality and ability of exposure and control then I am with the ability to AF. Low light is important too. I think the biggest disappointment with this camera is that it uses CF cards instead of SD. I really want to use the "iPad" system were you use and Eye-fi card to wirelessly transmit you photos as you take them through a portable wifi router and then use an app called shuttersnitch to pull those photos and display them on the larger 10" iPad screen. Thats something I really really wanted to do... I wonder if there might be a way around that. Does anyone know if there is an SD to CF converter available? Kinda like the mini SD to SD converter.
Photoshop CS5
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:07 AM   #35
Super Moderator

Most of the high-end cameras use CF due to its larger potential capacity. Though this is now changing in favour of dual-SD slots. There are SD->CF adapters, but you may not like the throughput rates - if you ever hit the buffer you are going to wait a long time for those high-rez 21mp images to write to the card.

Not sure that you will like the transfer speeds of the 5D2 over Eye-fi either. In the studio it is common to shoot tethered to a laptop computer for large-screen display of images. Canon do have a wifi transmitter that you can attach to most of their cameras, the Shuttersnitch web site says it works fine with the Canon wifi transmitter. Actually it sounds like fun. The only downside is the transmitter for the 5D2 costs $1,000.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:46 AM   #36

Ive been thinking about it and I think that the photography I like best is portrait and nature/landscapes and I enjoy macro from time to time too. Sports would be fun but then again Im not really into sports so I guess I have no need. The only time I would need a fast AF is when I was either photographing my daughter or trying to follow birds/airplans in flight I think... Do you think that the 5D2 would perform adequate enough for that?
Photoshop CS5

Last edited by Trihame; Jan 12, 2011 at 4:52 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:53 AM   #37

Just an amateur opinion but I think you should stay with APS-C. It's perfectly good for your needs and the picture you liked of the plane was done with a D90 which is APS-C I think. Maybe the Pentax K5 would be good for you so you can keep using eveything you've got for thr Kx and anything new you buy will work for both.

Alternatively, I'm considering the Sony Alpha SLT55 which is a new technology and I think is possibly the way to go. I've seen reports of an imminent firmware upgrade to allow the liveview to be streamed through the HDMI port to a larger HD screen which can be mounted on the flash hotshoe if you want which could be neat. There are rumours of an SLT77 later this year with 24 MP and 100k ISO performance which could be just what you want if you can wait.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Jan 12, 2011 at 4:56 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:36 PM   #38

I wish pentax had more selection. I think that I am going to upgrade eventually and get into Canon's line. But I do want the Pentax K1000 SLR. Someday I would like to take a film photography course and thats going to be my camera because I have heard nothing but good things about the camera and its not expensive. Does anyone have a better suggestion for a student SLR?
Photoshop CS5

Last edited by Trihame; Jan 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:39 PM   #39

Pentax has increase their presents. They are making some good new cameras.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Pentax has increase their presents. They are making some good new cameras.
Pentax is giving presents away?? That makes me want to switch!!! I assume you mean presence, and while this is true, you can't always walk into any store and find a good selection of Pentax products. You can always shop online, but you may be buying without being able to hold the product first

Quote:
I think that I am definitely am more concerned with quality and ability of exposure and control then I am with the ability to AF.
While quality wise you will be making a step forward going full frame, I can almost bet you won't easily notice at normal print sizes (up to about 11x14 and I've printed 16x20 with 10mp with no real issues) or for computer viewing, especially without making a significant lens investment. As far as exposure, remember, the camera doesn't expose, the photographer does. All cameras have exposure quirks and you must learn how the camera meters, and you will often have to dial in exposure compensation, whether you have a pro or entry level body. The 5d isn't magic and will often require you to fine tune the exposure. As far as control, again as I said in an earlier post, if you don't know how to use all the extra controls, they often get in the way.

You can certainly own any camera you want, and you don't have to be a pro to own or use a pro body. However, it sounds as if you want to get one assuming it will fix all your problems and give you gallery worthy results...it won't. I'm not sure you understand how your current equipment is limiting you...I'd say it isn't and your only limitation is your current knowledge and skill set. If you have to ask if you need a full frame, or a pro-level body, then you probably don't/aren't ready to upgrade. I'd wager there are more people taking bad images with pro level equipment than people who make amazing or even excellent images with pro equipment. And i think full frame is overkill for family photo's and travel snaps, and won't make this type of photography any easier for you, and may make it harder because of the increase in size. You really need to handle a full frame camera to make sure you want to lug it around. Another issue to consider with full frame, is the high res images will maybe require to upgrade your computer to process these images efficiently, and will require more storage...more money to be spent.

If you want to switch to canon for a better potential upgrade path, that makes sense. But i'd save some money...get a middle of the road body (not even the 7d...it doesn't sound like you even need that). Learn everything you can, shoot whenever possible, do whatever you can to upgrade the photographer (it's a lot more productive and a lot cheaper than upgrading equipment). Next get the best lenses you can afford. And then and only then, if the body is limiting you, then upgrade the body. For the photography you are doing, even the entry level models will serve you well.

Quote:
Low light is important too. I think the biggest disappointment with this camera is that it uses CF cards instead of SD
Low light is an area where full frame will help, but really current APS-C cameras do very, very well..you may pick up an extra stop with full frame, but for the most part you can shoot at up to an iso of 3200 with no major problems. CF cards are more durable, and faster and still used in high end cameras. The eye fi is a cool tool, but performance wise from what I understand still has some issues, and is painfully slow.

Last edited by rjseeney; Jan 13, 2011 at 6:55 AM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote