Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:38 PM   #41

One issue I have found with the eye-fi is that the card will randomly not read properly. I will be shooting and then every so often the camera will say card read error. I then have to open the card bay and then click the card out and then bring the camera back to its operating screen, click the card back in and then it works again. I hasn't happend yet but this will eventually prevent me from getting a shot that I want. The upside to me is that I can transfer the images to a computer in feild as I take them. The computer I use is a Macbook pro so I don't think that I will run into any computer issues with photography for a while at least.

I do have a question about crop factors though. If my K-x has a crop factor of 1.5 and the 35mm sensor has no crop factor then that means that I would have to get closer to my subject, such as a landscape shot, because the sensor in the K-x is smaller and crops out some of what could be taken right? So to go even deeper, 35mm is the standerd film size so what would be a wide angle lens such as maybe a 25mm lens for an SLR is not really a wide angle lens for the DSLR K-x. So my question is is if hypothetically I did get the 5d2 then would I have to get a farther reaching telephoto lens to get the same zoom on the k-x? Or in other words, i know this wont fit exactly, would I have to have a 200mm lens to reach as far as lets say 150mm or 100mm?
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 PM   #42

As far as a new camera is concerned, I have decided that I will just sit on it for a while. I agree I havn't mastered the K-x but I do wish I had gotten into canon instead because of their product line and there are more after market options as well. Anyway, deciding on what camera I should get is really hard because I am lacking on the knowledge of whats out there. I just don't ever get a chance to be introduced to whats out there and where technology is. I am learning little by little though.

What I am going to do now concerning the K-x is I am going to get into a 50mm prime lens. I have been wanting one for a while now. I just so happens that the lens I decided on is the 50mm f/1.4 like what was suggested to me. I currently have the 50-200mm lens, it wasn't the one that I wanted but I found it on Craigslist for $100 so I got it. I want the 55-300mm but its about as much as the 50mm prime. So I don't know what I'm going to do first. I want to save my money on lenses as much as possible because like I said before I will eventually upgrade or just get into the canon market. Anyway, how "bright" is the 55-300mm as opposed to the lenses I already have and does anyone have a better suggestion on a zoom lens that can give me a reach of at least 85mm to 300mm in the Pentax line or other manufacturers with K-mount lenses?

I have another question, earlier I was told that my lenses were "dark", so knowing that an aperture of 2.8 is larger than 5.6, does the same hold true for the ratings on lenses? What exactly does f/# mean in correlation to lenses and the images that they produce? (50mm f/1.4 or 55-300mm f/4-5.8)
Photoshop CS5

Last edited by Trihame; Jan 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:20 AM   #43

Quote:
I do have a question about crop factors though. If my K-x has a crop factor of 1.5 and the 35mm sensor has no crop factor then that means that I would have to get closer to my subject, such as a landscape shot, because the sensor in the K-x is smaller and crops out some of what could be taken right?
Yes. The smaller sensors give a narrower field of view for any given focal length compared to full frame sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
As far as a new camera is concerned, I have decided that I will just sit on it for a while. I agree I havn't mastered the K-x but I do wish I had gotten into canon instead because of their product line and there are more after market options as well. Anyway, deciding on what camera I should get is really hard because I am lacking on the knowledge of whats out there. I just don't ever get a chance to be introduced to whats out there and where technology is. I am learning little by little though.

Based on this recent round of questions, this is probably a good decision. You've asked some real general, basic knowledge questions (which is how you learn and get started), and I think the 5Dm2 you're looking at is quite a bit more than you are ready for. Canon and Nikon do provide more options, which are more readily found. However, this more or less applies to some of the more exotic stuff, or if you are looking at pro-level options, which most people don't need. The one exception is Nikons flash system. What accessories are you looking for or need that Pentax doesn't have??

Quote:
What I am going to do now concerning the K-x is I am going to get into a 50mm prime lens. I have been wanting one for a while now. I just so happens that the lens I decided on is the 50mm f/1.4 like what was suggested to me. I currently have the 50-200mm lens, it wasn't the one that I wanted but I found it on Craigslist for $100 so I got it. I want the 55-300mm but its about as much as the 50mm prime. So I don't know what I'm going to do first. I want to save my money on lenses as much as possible because like I said before I will eventually upgrade or just get into the canon market. Anyway, how "bright" is the 55-300mm as opposed to the lenses I already have and does anyone have a better suggestion on a zoom lens that can give me a reach of at least 85mm to 300mm in the Pentax line or other manufacturers with K-mount lenses?
You said in an earlier post that you have some lenses...which lenses do you currently own?? Why do you think you specifically need the 50 f1.4 or the 50-300?? Any large tele like the 50-300 is not going to be very bright, especially on the wide end.

Quote:
I have another question, earlier I was told that my lenses were "dark", so knowing that an aperture of 2.8 is larger than 5.6, does the same hold true for the ratings on lenses? What exactly does f/# mean in correlation to lenses and the images that they produce? (50mm f/1.4 or 55-300mm f/4-5.8)
The numbers you are referring to aren't "ratings", and really have no effect on image the lens produces. The f/# simply refers to the max aperture. In a prime lens, since there is only one focal length, there is no range. For zooms, it refers to the range of largest aperture available throughout the zoom range. As you zoom in, the largest available aperture gets smaller. Typically , zoom lenses with constant apertures (only one f# shown, usually f2.8 or f4) will be of higher quality, larger and more expensive. Primes also tend to have a little bit better image quality as well (but not always)

Last edited by rjseeney; Jan 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:32 AM   #44

for the K-x they don't sell alot of accessories that I would want and they don't have alot of options or variations of what they do sell. Like the K-x doesn't have an external batter grip or a wide selection of lenses. Canons line of accessories and other gear seems to be twice that of Pentax.
Photoshop CS5
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:13 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihame View Post
for the K-x they don't sell alot of accessories that I would want and they don't have alot of options or variations of what they do sell. Like the K-x doesn't have an external batter grip or a wide selection of lenses. Canons line of accessories and other gear seems to be twice that of Pentax.
The key is do they have what you need or is there a workaround. Battery grips in my opinion are overrated, especially for the casual user. They make the camera huge, and although they double battery life, battery changes only take a few seconds. They do ad a second shutter button, so if you're doing a lot of portrait work (and I mean a lot), then they make sense. I've used grips, and the extra size is a big turnoff for me, and forget getting lots of good candid shots, because cameras with grips draw extra attention. Also, in your very first post you mention not wanting the flagship camera because of its gigantic size. Adding a grip does exactly that...gives you a gigantic camera. Are you sure this should be a deciding factor in your next camera purchase...there is no such thing as a small grip.

As far as lenses, Pentax has most everything covered...the real missing piece is the exotics, which most people can't afford anyway. The problem is finding them in a store.

Accessories and gadgets are nice, and can be a useful part of the hobby. For me, I've scaled back quite a bit as my photography has progressed. I've sold off 6 or 7 lenses I "needed" (actually thought I had to have), a body, and large bags. So while I used to have everything covered, I realized I didn't need everything covered because most of the stuff just sat in my very large bag. It's really easy to get caught up "acquisition syndrome". The key is determining what you actually need, as opposed to what you just want. Trust me the two are completely different.

Last edited by rjseeney; Jan 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:06 AM   #46

Trihame - let me chime in with the rest of the people giving you great advice:

I've read through this discussion and I think you've got a very wrong impression regarding photography. The impression I get is that you feel the next accessory or the next body is going to magically transform your photography. It wont. It's evident from the discussion that you don't yet have a basic understanding of photography. And that's OK. But, until you have a better understanding of photography no equipment in the world is going to help you make better photos. Buying a new camera body is a waste of money at this point. For certain switching systems is a waste. Invest your time and resources in learning photography and you'll be surprised at what the gear you already own is capable of doing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote