Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1

Default Canon 5D Mark II or better?

I have been thinking of upgrading to a better camera. I really like the 5D2 even more than canons "flagship" mainly because I don't like being stuck with its gigantic size. Anyway, with that in mind, does anyone think that there is a better camera out there?
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:28 AM   #2

If you shoot action then the nikon D700 for a FF camera. But the canon does have HD, and it produces excellent photos. That is why canon sell so many of these FF camera. Big with the wedding photogs. You really can't go wrong with the 5DII.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3

PS you are locking yourself into really expensive lenses with Full Frame with the nikon or the canon to fully realized the larger sensor. It is a really expensive path.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The Sony A900 with the brilliant Zeiss lenses are also very good option.

Best for low-light - Nikon D700 (just a little better than the 5D2).
Best for resolution - Sony A900/A850 (just a little better than the 5D2).
Best all-rounder - Canon 5D2.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:57 AM   #5

The lenses seem to be the same price (and focal length) as Olympus's for their PEN cameras and as Pentax's for lets say the K-x. Is there something Im missing? The 5D2 takes EF lenses so can you elaborate on what you said about the lenses being expensive?

Do you guys know anything about the LEICA M9 "Titanium"? I know the lenses are going to be expensive but does the fact that these lenses are the best in the world make the camera and lenses worth the extra money?
Photoshop CS5
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:06 AM   #6

Oh, I like shooting anything and everything. I enjoy probably Nature and outside photography the most. After that I like to play with the depth of field/bokeh in my photographs with macro type photography. I shoot with a K-x right now and I am out growing it fast. I don't want to just upgrade to a little bit better camera, I want to skip the middle and just get the end camera. I know that once I do get the "end" camera that I will eventually get a new camera once this camera get "obsolete" but I think you guys will get what I am saying. Anyway, what I have noticed with my K-x is I shoot with a telephoto lens most and I need a camera that will be able to shoot with a wide range of color and in low light for shots of the sunset or sunrise or stars, ect.... idk i guess I just need the all around camera that can do decent with it all....
Photoshop CS5
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:08 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I guess the question initially comes down to what you want to shoot. Sure the 5DmkII is great, I have one, so does peripatetic and they produce really nice shots. However, depending on the sort of photography you want to do, it might not be the best use of your money. The body is only a part of the equation, getting the right glass is also very important too.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:13 AM   #8
Super Moderator

The Leica M9 is a fantastic camera, IQ with the Leica lenses is undoubtedly better than any of the others.

The Leica is NOT a DSLR however. It is a manual-focus rangefinder system. If you are shooting any action/sports/wildlife/telephoto/architectural/flash photography then forget about the M9. Macro is possible, but only marginally. Where it excels is in people (street and portrait) and landscape photography. I would happily use an M9 instead of my 5D2 (if I could afford it, but I can't) but for most people the M9 is simply not versatile enough as compared to a DSLR.

Ignore the "titanium" they are a limited run of 500 all sold, mostly to collectors.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:29 AM   #9

The larger sensor can resolve more light. The older regular EF lenses just can not keep up. That is why all the new L lenses form canon are so dam expensive, they resolve a ton of light.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:02 AM   #10

So would the EF 24 - 105mm f/4L IS USM work good with the 5D2? is that what the L is after the f/4? I was originally thinking of going with that lens and then another zoom lens that would carry my to at least 300mm however to do so with the "L" lenses would cost way too much money. What if I just cut the middle man and go with the EF 28 - 300mm f/3.5 - 5.6L IS USM? Do you think that that would hurt the quality of the images enough to matter? I mean the lens cost almost as much as the camera does... What about a different camera? Any suggestions?

Photoshop CS5