Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:26 AM   #11

Sarah, in further research I find that the "completed" prices for the XSi are indeed out of my budget range, and I can't up my budget. So, let's say that's out of the question!

Now I am realistically down to the XTi (400D), XT (350D), or the 30D (tough, but not impossible, to get for $300 or less). Bearing in mind that the MP spec is NOT a concern, what would be, in your all's opinions, the best to go with? I'm willing to buy a body and lens separately to get the combination at the "right" price. Image quality is the most important parameter (and I don't print large prints, so again, the higher MP count isn't important), along with good low-light performance (so the lens is a consideration).

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in; this is helping a great deal!
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:30 AM   #12

400D would be my pick with the listed camera.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:32 AM   #13

the 30D might be a tad higher priced then the xti. But if you can find it, the prosumer body is nicer.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:09 PM   #14

The 30D is built like a tank. However, I would go for the 40D. Really, I would save another $100 to $200 and expand my list of choices. You can get a Pentax K-x, which is really good in low light and has built in optical image stabilization for less than $500 with the kit lens NEW.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:04 PM   #15

Alas, robbo, my original plan was to wait a few months before buying one, but I've just started having an intermittent image problem with my FZ-7, and since I'd already decided to upgrade, it doesn't make sense to have it diagnosed and/or fixed. Anyway, it would probably cost more than the camera is worth to have it fixed, or I'd have to keep it for a LOT longer to justify the cost of fixing it. So, I'm kind of in a "buy the best you can get for the money you have right now" situation.

I'm using my DH's FZ-7 right now, but he's protective of it and I'm sure I won't be able to use it for weeks and weeks.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:54 PM   #16

OK, I understand your situation better now. What everybody tells you about the advantages of DSLR's is true. You do have a chance at a narrower depth of field. You can get better quality images at higher ISO's.
Usually the focusing speed is faster. However, I really cameras like the FZ35, which you can get for $239 from Adorama. They take decent shots in a huge range of settings. They are easy to carry around. The FZ35 is a little bit better at low light settings than the FZ40 from what I have read.
Anyway, whatever you get, good luck. Just don't go back further than an XTI in the Canon DLSR's.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:01 PM   #17

400iso is pretty much where the megazoom are clean, above that they are good to about 800iso, when the noise is really ruins the shot. The XTi or 30d will shoot at 1600iso allot better then a megazoom at 800iso, and the 30d can expand to 3200iso.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:10 PM   #18

Have you considered an older olympus? I have no experience with them but BH has a couple of evolt e500 or 520 with kit lens about 270...
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
The FZ35 is a little bit better at low light settings than the FZ40 from what I have read.
That is also what I've heard. As I think I'd posted earlier, it was the FZ-35 I'd decided on before entertaining the thought of a dslr. But getting that is just upgrading to the newest (or almost so, now) generation of what I already have, despite the many improvements. And the possibilities of a dslr are very intriguing. I'd love to shoot jewelry with a shallow depth of field for a more "artistic" look. (I can achieve that to a certain degree with the FZ-7, but have little control over it....)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:42 PM   #20

I am in a situation very similar to you, looking to add something newer or just better to the line up and am looking at the entry level DSLR's. Not sure if this is anything that you would be interested in but the Sony alpha 330 is on sale right now for $319 refurbished direct from Sony. Maybe some others can chime in on where this would rate for you (or me) but it seems like a pretty good deal and possibly the best of both worlds to upgrade to a DSLR and also get the newer technology.
ckbodden is offline   Reply With Quote