Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:21 PM   #21

marubex, I was looking at the evolt e-500, but the image quality of the Canons seems a hair better (maybe because of the difference in sensors?). But, it's a still a good back-up plan in case I can't obtain a Canon within my budget.
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:49 PM   #22

I recently bought "an open box" Sony A230 that was returned to Wolf camera for $270. All that was missing was the battery and charger. It cost me $11 to replace the battery and charger, and I got a full 1 year Sony guarantee.

I shoot with both Canon, Olympus, and Sony DSLR cameras, and don't find that much difference in the entry level DSLR cameras. I selected the Sony A-230 because I have used them before and know that I can confidently shoot at ISO 1600 and 3200 and still get usable image quality.

An older Olympus E-500, or Canon XTi would not be able to shoot at those ISO settings.I am sure the next question is what does the image quality look like from the Sony A-230, so I have attached a photo for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 11, 2011 at 7:33 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:53 PM   #23

The a230 is a good basic dslr, it is cdd vs cmos. So it really does not shoot well pass 1600iso from a dslr point of view.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:13 PM   #24

Don't want to hijack the thread but since we are talking about it now...
So it sounds like the a330 is a pretty good deal at $320. On a limited budget would the pentax k-x be worth an extra $140?
thanks
ckbodden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:16 PM   #25

yes, as the k-x has a more advance cmos sensor. So that it can shoot well upto 6400iso. And the AF is better on it and it has HD.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:31 PM   #26

ckbodden-

I agree completely with shoturtle-

When comparing between the Sony A330 and a Pentax Kx. The clear choice is the Pentax Kx because it is several generations newer than the A330, with more features and better numerically high ISO settings.

However with the OP's quest we were limited to a $300 budget.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:09 PM   #27

You can get a refurbished Olympus E-600 for $359 and free shipping from Adorama. That's not a bad camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
You can get a refurbished Olympus E-600 for $359 and free shipping from Adorama. That's not a bad camera.
Well, I've realized that I have quite a large camera collection to sell, some of which are pretty collectible, so perhaps that $300 budget can be stretched just a hair.... I would like the Canon 30D, but will start looking around at some other inexpensive used or refurbished dslr. I do think I'd rather upgrade to the dslr than get another P&S, even the great ones we've been discussing here!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:47 AM   #29
Administrator

You can get a brand new Sony A230 with a lens for $349.99 right now from B&H while supplies last (it's been replaced by a newer model now).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gital_SLR.html

If Live View is a feature you want (not available with the A230), then you can get the A330 with a lens in refurbished condition for $319.99 right now (it's one of the weekly specials at sonystyle.com outlet), as mentioned earlier by ckbodden.

The A330 has a tilting LCD with fast autofocus Live View (something you don't get with other dSLR brands, as their Autofocus using Live View will be very slow in Comparison). See the new price shown under the Add Cart button:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887572

Here's where you can find the weekly specials:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...goryKey=Outlet
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:35 AM   #30

Thank you, Jim! I will check that out! I admit, I do NOT like Sony P & S models. I've used a couple and tried out a couple more--and they don't feel anywhere near as intuitive to me as my Olympus and Panasonic megazooms... My husband chose the latest Sony (at the time) megazoom model to use at work--and he doesn't like it anywhere near as well as his old Pany FZ-7. But, I've never tried out a Sony dslr, and it sounds that everyone here agrees it's a good choice on a budget!

I like the idea of the tilting LCD and fast AF Live View. I can probably pop for the extra few bucks....