Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:32 AM   #31

It is a okay camera, not great. But for the firm budget, you can get it new. It is not that good in low light with the older design cdd sensor. And if you use the view finder it is tiny and it gives you a really crop view of the actual frame that is taken. You loose I thing about 10% of the view.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:14 AM   #32

sho, do you think the 330 is better than the 230?

If I didn't need another camera very soon, I'd have my heart stuck on a 30D. But I need one.... soon!

So, after going back & forth and back & forth, I'm now looking (again) at the Olympus models, but an E-510 instead of the E-500. I can pick up a used Nikon D70 for, depending on what lens I put with it, for around $350. I really cannot go more than that, unless I can sell off my load of vintage cameras right away! LOL....

Any thoughts on the E-510 and D70 from anyone? TIA, as always! I can't ell you how much I appreciate everyone's input on this! It's been a long time since I used an slr, but I'm getting eager to get back into it.
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:22 AM   #33

more features, but photo quality and preformance are pretty much the same. Shooting a dslr in live view is not as easy really, and the longer lens and holding the camera away form your body really does not make for a stable shooting position. I have liveview and I use it on a tripod. Or on the occasion that I am elevating the camera way over my head. But I shoot with the vf 99% of the time.

The 30d is nicer then the d70 imho. E510 is a older 4/3 format camera so it is not that good pass 800iso. The d70 is not bad, but it is not as well built as the 30d.

If you want new. The A230 does have the better viewfinder. But the 330 just have the nice gadgets to it. And it fits the budget.

But your really need to handle them first. You might hate or love the ergo of one camera better.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:30 AM   #34
Administrator

Image Quality from the A330 should be identical to the A230. The main difference is that the A330 gives you a tilting LCD with fast Autofocus Live View (something you don't get with any other brand of dSLR, as their Autofocus using Live View will be very slow in comparison).

The viewfinder on the A330 is smaller compared to the one on the A230 (the viewfinder on the A330 is only slightly larger than the one you'll find on something like the E-510 you're considering, which is smaller than most other dSLR models).

That's because Sony uses a separate sensor in the Viewfinder housing to allow for fast Autofocus Live View (so that the live view sensor sees the same image normally seen by the Optical Viewfinder). That's the reason the Sony's Autofocus is just as fast in Live View mode as it is using the Optical Viewfinder. Pros and Cons.

As for the E-510, Olympus owners really like the JPEG processing in their cameras. But, it does have slightly higher noise levels and lower Dynamic Range (ability to capture a greater range of bright to dark) compared to the Sony models you're looking at. So, clipped highlights (loss of detail in brighter areas) are more likely to occur, given a properly exposed mid gray.

Autofocus with Live View will also be much slower than the Sony A330.

AS for the Nikon D70, it's an older 6MP model using a Sony 6MP CCD Sensor. I'd probaby avoid it, as this particular model did have a problem known as BGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death) due to some apparent electrical design problems. If you must go used (and I'd advise against it because you can never tell what a camera has been through), I'd go D70s instead in similar body (it's an upgraded version that shouldn't have the same issues as some of the D70 bodies).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:08 PM   #35

Again, such helpful info from everyone; thanks!

It's funny, I'm really not nervous about buying used, as I've had such good luck with every used camera I've gotten, starting with my Minolta XG-M, bought used about 23 years ago (omg, could it be that long--yikes!), my first digital--the Olympus C2100, and my current one--the Pany FZ-7. The Pany was an open-box or demo unit, and the lens motor failed within the warranty, so I got a whole new lens assembly for free....

So, to date, haven't done too badly with used. But a digital slr may be a horse of another color. Haven't had one, so it might well be that a used dslr is more of a risk than a film slr or a digital P & S.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:55 PM   #36

more risk then film but not a digital point and shoot. But some older dslr's are build like a tank, and the 30D is one of them. I would get new as I do not like risking it, but everyone is willing to take different risks. Some shops that sell used give a 30 day return on used. So that take a little of the worries out.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:04 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
So, to date, haven't done too badly with used. But a digital slr may be a horse of another color. Haven't had one, so it might well be that a used dslr is more of a risk than a film slr or a digital P & S.
Luck of the draw, as if you spend $300 on a used camera that fails, you'll be right back where you started, minus the money you've spent on it. ;-)

Also, if you're not careful, some manufacturers may refuse to service a camera, even if you are willing to pay for the service. For example, Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market camera (one that wasn't intended for sale in the U.S., and you'll find many vendors selling gray market gear), even if you're willing to pay to have it serviced.

If going used, I'd make sure to buy one from a vendor that offers fair grading, as well as a warranty on used gear.

My favorite vendors of used gear (in order of preference, and I've bought used gear from all 3 vendors):

http://www.keh.com
Warranty Policy:
http://www.keh.com/help.aspx#pe17

http://www.bhphotovideo.com
Warranty Policy:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/Hel...tiesRepair.jsp

http://www.adorama.com
Warranty Policy:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=FAQ#Warranty
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:54 PM   #38

Jim, that's funny--those are exactly the three vendors I'm looking at--more keh & adorama, only because last time I checked BH, they didn't have much of what I was looking for, but I'll keep checking. Also, of course, checking eBay, but the pricing for most of the models I'm looking at is right up there close to what I'd pay at the others. Of course, if I were to go that route, I'd be very careful with whom I dealt, and at least eBay now has its buyer protection, and I use Square Trade for my warranties these days on used stuff.

Check out the review and test shots on the A-330, and it seems to fall down slightly on color reproduction in the reds, which is where so many cameras, including mine, have issues. I need the most accurate color reproduction I can get! But for $320, I can work around that with post-camera processing. Although with reds, it's a pain.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:07 PM   #39
Administrator

Adorama has a good reputation. But, their online ordering system leaves something to be desired. For example, I can remember buying my Minolta 100mm f/2 AF lens from Adorama.com, and it was still listed as in stock for a long time after I ordered it. I was very concerned about that, and actually called them to ask why it was still listed after I ordered it (concerned that somebody else may have ordered it first). I've seen the same type of issues reported by other customers of used gear there too.

They also have a somewhat bad rep on the "buy" side of the equation with some members (I'd sure never ship any of my gear to them for appraisal if I were looking to sell some gear). I wouldn't trust their grading of used gear as much either, as feedback I've seen indicates that both keh.com and bhphotovideo.com have fairer grading of used gear.

No offense (as one of the Adorama reps might respond to this thread, since they are pretty good about keeping track of customer satisfaction in forums). But, until I see more positive feedback, they'll remain at the bottom of my list for used gear purchases or sales. Of course, the bottom of my "top 3" vendors of used gear is still not bad, as there are many vendors that I would not consider purchasing used gear from. ;-)

The opinions I'm expressing are my own, not necessarily that of Steve's. So, take them with a grain of salt.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:50 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
Check out the review and test shots on the A-330, and it seems to fall down slightly on color reproduction in the reds, which is where so many cameras, including mine, have issues.
I haven't noticed that issue reported. But, most camera models (including the A330) have a variety of settings you can choose from that impact how colors are portrayed in JPEG images processed by the camera.

For example, the Sony models you're looking at let you choose from a variety of "Picture Style" settings (Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Night View, Sunset and more), with each Picture Style individually adjustable for things like Contrast, Sharpness and Saturation. Some Picture Styles place more emphasis on some colors over others. If you don't like the default options, just shoot RAW and use the RAW converter of choice to convert them to JPEG.