Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:19 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
The k100ds sensor, I noted when comparing different units, has a larger sensor than most (much larger in some cases) in the same price or class.
It's a Sony APS-C size sensor. Pentax, Nikon and Sony dSLR models with Sony APS-C size sensors have sensors that are all about the same size (most of their models use them). So, I'm not sure what you're looking at, unless you're confusing something like pixel pitch with sensor size, or you're looking at the size of the sensors in the Olympus dSLR models (which are smaller than APS-C size sensors).

Canon models with APS-C size sensors use slightly smaller sensors compared to Sony APS-C size sensors. But, there's really not much difference in size. Canon makes their own sensors for use in their dSLR models, although you may find other sensor brands (for example, Sony or Panasonic) in their point and shoot models.

Because APS-C size sensors are smaller than 35mm film, that's why you need to use a 1.5x multiplier with most Sony, Pentax and Nikon dSLR models to see how angle of view compares to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera.

For example, a 50mm lens on a dSLR using a Sony APS-C size sensor will give you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm).

With Canon models using APS-C size sensors (which are slightly smaller than the Sony APS-C size sensors), use 1.6x to see how angle of view compares. For example, a 50mm lens on a Canon dSLR model with an APS-C size sensor will give you about the same angle of view you'd have using an 80mm lens on a 35mm camera (50mm x 1.6 = 80mm).

Olympus dSLR models use a smaller sensor size compared to the APS-C size sensors used in most Nikon or Canon dSLR models, where you'd use 2x to see how angle of view compares. For example, a 50mm lens on an Olympus dSLR model would give you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera. Kodak used to make the sensors for Olympus dSLR models when their 4/3 system was first introduced. But, they've gone with Panasonic sensors in all of their newer dSLR models.

The larger the sensor or film size, the wider the angle of view (less apparent magnification) for a given focal length lens. The smaller the sensor or film size, the narrower the angle of view (more apparent magnification) for a given sensor or film size.

Note that the photosites for each pixel are larger with the 6MP sensor in that Pentax, as compared to higher resolution (10MP, 12MP, etc.) APS-C size sensors That's because you're not trying to fit as many of them in the same size area.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 8:34 AM   #52
Administrator

This page will give you an idea of how sensor size compares:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

But, again, you really need to take each sensor on a case by case basis (as advancements in sensor technology come into the equation). Ditto for camera models (even if they're using the same sensor), as you'll have other differences (AA filters, image processing, noise reduction, etc.) that will impact how one works versus another in a given shooting condition.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:22 AM   #53
Administrator

P.S.

Samsung is another player in the sensor area. For example, Pentax went with a 14MP Samsung APS-C size sensor in their K20D and K-7 models. But, they went back to Sony sensors in their newer models.

Nikon also designs some of their own sensors. For example, the new Nikon 3100 has an APS-C size 14MP sensor that is not a Sony sensor. Nikon also designed the 12MP full frame (35mm film size) sensors used in their D3, D3s, and D700 models. Nikon has also designed sensors in the past for some of their dSLR models (the APS-C size sensor used in the D2H is one example).

But, most of the Pentax, Nikon and Sony dSLR models use Sony sensors, all current Canon dSLR models use Canon sensors, and all current Olympus dSLR models use Panasonic sensors.

However, again, take each sensor and camera combo on a case by case basis when comparing them.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:53 AM   #54

Jim, according to several model-to-model comparisons I ran online, the k100ds has a much larger sensor than the Olympus E-510 and a slightly larger one than the Canon XSi, which was the last model under consideration (but too pricey, in the end). I didn't note the spec on the A330, so my earlier statement was based on the two I did take note of.

Yes, of course, one needs to not just look at sensor, but at the overall camera features and performance. But the difference in sensor size did seem to be a large enough one to factor into the equation.
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:55 AM   #55

It does, it is aps-c with at 1.5x crop, vs 4/3 at 2x, and canon aps-c at 1.6x. Better dof control and high iso ability the the oly 4/3 sensor by a measurable amount. Not a real difference compare to the canon aps-c

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:02 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
Jim, according to several model-to-model comparisons I ran online, the k100ds has a much larger sensor than the Olympus E-510...
Right, see my previous posts.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:29 AM   #57

Yes, I did see your comment about the Canon. Since the Canon, Sony, and Olympus were the only ones I compared the k100ds to, my "assumption" was that the sensor was larger than average. I stand corrected! It happens to be larger than two of the three other models I was considering. But in the grand scheme of things, apparently of more or less average size.

As I said this discussion and all the information you all have been kind enough to share helped me immensely! I'm as certain as I can be at this point--without said unit in hand--that I've bought the best camera for my needs within my price range, with the ability to expand capabilities as I go along with it. Definitely a plus.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:57 AM   #58
Administrator

One more thing you may want to know...

Having more megapixels is overrated, and you'll tend to get better "per pixel sharpness" with the 6MP sensors as used in the Pentax you just bought, as the larger photosites for each pixel will place less demands on the lens quality needed to take full advantage of the sensor's resolution. I just made a post about that a little while ago, responding to a thread about the great quality the Nikon D40 produces (and it uses a Sony 6MP Sensor, too).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...ml#post1190359
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:05 PM   #59

AMC-
Thanks it has been a long decision process for me, I always suffer from "analysis paralysis". I was seriously considering the Olympus EPL1 too which snuck up on me at the end there and had me going on a serious tangent. But for me, this whole think started with everyone telling me it was time for a DSLR and that essentially "no matter what you choose it will be better than any P&S". My initial contenders were the A390 (not 330), rebel t1i, nikkon 3100 and pentax kx. The KX was leading the pack for a long time but I could never get my hands on one to test! That left me with a pretty broad price range and being a cheap SOB when the Sony popped up and seems like it will meet my needs, I just decided to do it (still took a week). My main other camera is a Pany fz-28 that has worked out great. Nice long zoom and a great high speed burst mode that captures about 10 frames per second @ 3MP which is fine for us. My son does high jump and we can get every step of his lead up and watch him go over the bar about 6 inches at a time. This one is more for pictures of our toddler around the house, at the park etc. My wife was just sick of "missing the shot". Fingers crossed
ckbodden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:21 PM   #60

Jim, believe me, I am one of those who is NOT stuck on MP count! In fact, I do not understand why the prevailing thinking among consumers is that the more MP, the better.... Not true, unless you're printing HUGE prints and need to maintain sharp resolution. My FZ-7 is just 6 MP, and I never , ever use it on max. res. I just use it for online work--rarely print anything from it. I would guess that most everyday users of digicams don't print as much of their work as they post online (FB, flickr, snapfish, Kodak gallery, etc.). So why they think they "need" 16 MP or more these days--or even 10 or 12--is beyond me. I read, and I don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense to me, that anything over 12 MP is way overkill for most users. And that in general (not as a hard & fast rule), IQ suffers above that. I assume that varies with the camera and the sensor, but it sounds logical to me.

ck, I'm sure the FZ-28 is a great camera! In fact, my DH & I were talking this a.m. He also has an FZ-7, and gets amazing shots of our youngest son playing soccer. But when the budget recovers from the new purchase, I think we'll get an FZ-35 to replace his FZ-7. Then we'll have our little HP "snapshot" unit (a great little pocket-or purse-sized camera for traveling; I took it to Vegas last year and some of my shots were as good as my sister's taken on her Kodak mega zoom), another FZ series, and the Pentax. Definitely a sufficient roundup for our needs!

Let me know how you like the Sony--let's swap "first photos"!