Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:13 PM   #61

Congratulations on the K100D Super!

I have a K100D for about the last almost 5 years. Its a wonderful camera, and your price is excellent. The sensor at 6MP does everything and its a CCD, so that the noise is well controlled. Its not the fastest camera around - shot to shot, and writing images to the SD card, when compared to the new ones. But it does everything you would want it to do. Overall, its a wonderful camera. Small, light and very capable. The kit lens is very capable.

You need not worry about the K "crippled" mount. All the Pentax cameras are using the same mount, and it only affects earlier pre-A lenses with respect to mechanical stop-down coupler/indicator. There is a button that provides that functionality on all the K bodies. All the Pentax cameras (film or digital) can use any of the Pentax K mount lenses and the earlier M42 lenses (pre 1975). So you have nothing to worry about.
If you scroll down on Steve's main page to the dSLR section there is the Pentax/Samsung dSLR area, along with an area for Pentax lenses. There is a wonderful group of folks down there. All very friendly and more than willing to answer any of your questions....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:09 AM   #62

Well, I've gone and done it again.... that is, bought dslr. Much to my dismay! Before I found my k100ds, I'd put a bid in on an Olympus E-510 on eBay, at a max bid much less than what these have been going for--figuring I'd at least put my hat in the ring and see what happened. My bid was low enough, or so I thought, that when I got outbid (which I felt was a certainty), I could decide at that point whether or not to up my bid. Well, guess what--I got it at opening bid. I cannot believe it.

I'll check it out when I get it, but I'm 99.99% positive I'll keep the Pentax. So, I'll need to sell the Oly. I checked some of the suggestions as to where to sell used equipment. I can't sell directly to B & H, Adorama, or KEH because I know I won't get anywhere near what I paid. I've seen fredmiranda-dot-com listed as a good place to try. Anyone have any experience with them?

Oh, and if is the "wrong" place to post this, I apologize. I did look at the general thread here on this forum on this subject, but I figure since you all seem to be pretty familiar with the type and brands of cameras I now have, I'd ask here...

TIA!

Anne
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:06 PM   #63

Anne-

I am delighted to hear that you have found a camera that will/might work perfectly for you. Congratulations!

Please post some follow-on photos from the Pentax K100D as you proceed with your testing. I am following this thread with great interest. Thanks in advance. Will they be posted in the Pentax DSLR folder?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:15 PM   #64

Sarah, thanks for all your help! I'm very eager to get my new camera and figure out "what" to do with it--and how! I just found my old telephoto lens that I thought was Pentax compatible, and it is. It's an old Sears unit (which I understand are very good), and I've never even used it.

As soon as I get some shots I'm not embarassed about, I'll post some--and if they should go in the Pentax DSLR folder, I'll do that.

And, btw, I've promised DH an FZ-35 once we've done paying for this--LOL! I don't think he needs the FZ-40, and the 35's seem to finally be coming down in price.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:37 PM   #65

Anne-

Yes, the FZ35 is now hitting all time low prices. We also have a very active and large FZ28/35/38/40/45/100 group in our Panasonic P+S folder.

I will look for your K100D test photos as they become available.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:37 PM   #66

Congratulations on your new camera (and best of luck selling the other new camera!). If you have any Pentax-specific questions, be sure to visit the Pentax DSLR section of the forum - lots of helpful folks there!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:48 PM   #67

Anne-

I decided to create a little "preview" for you. I pulled out my Pentax K100D, put the Pentax 55-300mm lens on it, and shot this no flash photo using the light from a desk lamp of my husband, Bradley as he was watching the football game. The exposure was F 4.0 at 1/50th with ISO 1600. So, your K100D Super will probably do even a little better.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:43 PM   #68

Oh, my, Sarah, this is impressive! Especially given the light source--a desk lamp is hardly a piece of studio lighting! The detail is great--you can see the "nubbies" on the shirt, and without knowing your DH, it would seem that the flesh tones are very accurate. Your shots are always good, though--I'm sure that has a lot to do with the person behind the camera. Hopefully I will be able to rise to the occasion!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:27 PM   #69

I dug out the Sigma 500DG Flash and did a second shot with more flash for you. This again is with the Pentax 55-300mm lens which I really like.

With more light the exposure was F 4.0 at 1/80th with ISO 200. Again good sharpness and you can see skin pores.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:45 PM   #70

Anne-

One more if you will allow me. Since you are looking at the FZ35: we are back to the desk lamp and Bradley, but, this time with my FZ40 and no flash. This was taken at ISO 3200 F3.5 at 1/30th using the High Sensitivity Scene Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 16, 2011 at 6:49 PM.