Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:12 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc654 View Post
Sarah, can you help clear up some confusion for me? Obviously I am a newbie to the dslr world... to say the least. The specs in Steve's review here on the e-500 say it had a Kodak CCD sensor, and the e-510 a CMOS sensor (but doesn't say who produced it). Above you state the e-500 had the Kodak CMOS imager. So I'm a bit confused, and I would love to know what I'm talking about when I go to sell the e-510 (if I do, LOL!). So, the e-510 did not have a Kodak sensor, although it is CMOS, and the e-500 had a Kodak sensor, but a CCD? Is that correct? It is not hard for me to get confused, so please bear with me--I appreciate the comments you and everyone here have made, and they seem to be helping an awful lot of other people, too, who have been having the same dilemma as I!

In any event, I was very surprised, when viewing test photos from so many reviews and also looking at the pics folks have posted to the forums here, that I was not as impressed with the Canon Rebel series as I was with both the e-500 and the e-510. I had anticipated the opposite.

Hi,
The E-500 was the last Olympus slr to employ a Kodak CCD sensor. To be exact, it was the 8MP KAF8300CE from Kodak. The strong suit of this particular sensor was the wonderfully rich colors it produced. Lowlight photography was never the E-500's strong suit. But, if you took photographs in normal light situations and/or knew the adjustments required to get around the issues with low light situations, the E-500 was and still is today a wonderful camera.

BTW, the out of camera jpegs of the E-500 were very rich in color, in comparison to many of the competitive cameras of that time. If you were willing to post process your images in a photo editing software package, such a Photoshop, the results were simply outstanding.

An example of a lily taken with the E-500:

The E-510 was no slouch as it too could produce wonderful images. This was a Steve's Photo of the Day pic a few years ago:

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:15 PM   #82

Quote:
My husband & I are both from the Rochester, N.Y. area (Kodak's HQ), and lived in Rochester for years. So any tidbit of Kodak history interests us. And the stories we could tell.... Lots of friends and relatives who worked there... With better business planning, Kodak could be still be king of the camera--they had the technology and a great workforce, but, sadly, the succession of management was ill chosen to lead Kodak into the "brave new world." Among other issues....
There was a little known company by the name of Polaroid, in my neck of the woods that thought they had the market cornered as well.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:17 PM   #83

Anne-

Here is another Olympus E-500 color example:
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:54 PM   #84

Quote:

In any event, I was very surprised, when viewing test photos from so many reviews and also looking at the pics folks have posted to the forums here, that I was not as impressed with the Canon Rebel series as I was with both the e-500 and the e-510. I had anticipated the opposite.

As previously mentioned, the E-510 can produce sharp images with good color, clarity and resolution. It does not have the kodak sensor, but what it does have is in-body stabilization. a very good upgrade from the E-500.

Colors aint' too shabby either:

Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:40 AM   #85

Wow--I'm so amazed by these photos! Now, if I can only learn how to use my dslr and get shots anywhere near the quality of those of you all....
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:59 AM   #86

Anne-

'Not to worry. You will get shots just like those. There is lots of help available in the Pentax DSLR folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote