Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:16 PM   #1

Default DSLR + Lens mainly for travel?

I have been eyeing up the 550D for some time, mainly due to the hype around it and seeing some excellent results from friends using it.

However, I would like to make sure I'm going to get the right camera and lens for my needs. My top priority is something I can use while travelling and sight-seeing. I'm quite happy to carry a DSLR around while travelling.

I am eyeing the 550D with 18-135mm kit lens. Is the 18-135mm a worthwhile upgrade to the 18-55mm kit lens for travel? It is approximately 150 more.

That kit with a few accessories I think represents about the maximum for my budget. I have pondered the D90 as it is not much more expensive though.

Then there is the D3100, which seems to be an excellent camera as well. I have only seen this with an 18-55mm kit lens.

Does either brand provide significantly better travel lens at the entry-level?

Is the D3100 worth considering if I'm happy to spend more on the 550D?
PeterNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:51 PM   #2

Default A lens that I like a lot

Peter-

I also looked at the Canon 18-135mm lens. However, the Canon 18-135mm lens has not received stellar reviews. So in my researching I found the humble Sigma 18-125mm lens.

It is not a flashy super lens, but for me the zoom range is just about perfect, and you can save some money as well. It is available for just about any camera you might select.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:39 PM   #3

As good as the T2i is, if you'll only ever put a mediocre lens on it, you probably won't see much of an advantage over a typical "bridge" camera.

The Canon 18-55 IS kit lens is very good (extraordinary for its price), and if you want something as good with more zoom, it will cost you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:01 PM   #4

The 550D is a better camera then the d3100. It does shoot HD better, and can shoot a EV bracket.

18-135 is a okay lens, it is consumer grade. But for travel, I would get the 550D body and the canon 18-200 or the tamron 18-270 or the sigma 18-250. They would cover a more useful focal length for traveling. I just went on holiday for 34 day. With my travel set up, and there where times I wish I had a superzoom lens vs a multi lens setup.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:25 PM   #5

I'm very open to suggestions at this point.

What do others travel with? If the 18-135mm is a waste of extra s, what are some recommended alternative set ups for a beginner?
PeterNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:32 PM   #6

personally I use the 28-135 as my walk around lens for my T1i and 60D. I like to go smaller with my travel kit. I use a epl-1 with the 14-42 and 45-200 lens. Though it is a compact package. I did find myself on certain days wishing I had a superzoom lens for my small travel camera.

I also find that if you are traveling, 18-135 is a tad short for some of the things you might want to shoot, especially if you can not qet in closer. I would look at the 18-270 from tamron as a good travel lens. It is one of the best superzoom lens out there, it does give up a bit of image quality to a 2 lens setup. But it make thing simpler.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:15 PM   #7

As with Shoturtle my walk around lens for my 7D is the 28-135.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote