Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:13 AM   #1

Default Looking at a possible Nikon dSLR...researching.

So...

For years and years I have been a Canon P&S user, then to the prosumer P&S in the Canon Powershot Pro1 then to the G9. When I offed the G9 about a year ago, I took the leap to a bigger sensor in the Pentax Kx, and recently I have acquired an entire stable of good Pentax lenses at a rock bottom price.

I am not a professional in any way, but in my eye I take above average photos and in the past year with my new acquisition I have taken at least my outdoor photography to new heights. With that being said I was interested in improving my indoor photography which led me to researching and buying new, faster lenses and higher grade flashes, which induced LBA and boom...I landed an entire lot of MINT lenses from eBay with a second Pentax body and enough equipment I can easily net $2,000+ dollars if I simply just divide and turn over my newly acquired inventory. Perhaps $2,000 is a little aspirational, but I can certaily turn a profit, stockpile my lenses, or get at least what my original intention was for free.

This brings me to my new dilemma, which is the root of my problem when it comes to anything cool and electronic. The grass is always greener, and I want the next best thing. Now, I try to stay slightly behind the curve on most in order to save money and I have known to be an earlier adopter from time to time, but I am more concerned about value and best bang for your buck. With that being said in conjunction with recent articles I have been reading about the D7000 and Nikon's plethora of great quality lenses and affordable consumer lens options I am considering jumping ship. It is not that I am displeased with my Pentax Kx, or the quality of my photos. The driver is more due to options and affordable options at that.

Now, since this is my first post as a potential new member of the Nikon club, I was hoping that some of the seasoned members could make research recommendations, add comments and make suggestions. I like to fish on my own but I am not sure what the best resources are. Any links would be appreciated.

My wants with a camera -

1.) I was looking at the D7000 as a starting point, I am willing to go up or down from there if there is greater value for my wants.

2.) I would rather not have 10 lenses, but 3 or 4 good/decent AF ones that will cover my focal range from 12 - 300ish primarilly for outdoor use, with a dedicated macro or a lense that works well with the Raynox 250. In addition to one lense being fast enough and wide enough (could be prime or zoom) to shoot kids in indoor light without a flash.

3.) Looking to add a flash that has swivel and bounce, and I am looking for recommendations on what to buy/use for that.

4.) Would like a body/lens combo that shoots at least 720p with active AF while shooting. The Pentax has HD video, but it is annoying to have to manually focus while shooting. Not usually an option when you are trying just to keep my kids in the frame let alone in focus. It does not have to be perfect, but would like this as a feature.

5.) Useable Live View...I know that Sony seems to be the leader in this with their semi-translucent mirror, but I know that Sony is more limited in lens selection. This is not a deal breaker in any way, but an LV that focus faster than the Pentax Kx would be great. The LV on that is unusable IMO. I shoot 90% of the time using the viewfinder, but it is nice for that 10% when you are reaching up over a crowd to get an overhead view to know that your subject is in frame, rather than just hoping.

6.) Weatherproof? I like to trudge out in the elements from time to time...not the Kx is not WR nor are any of my lenses, but I still go out anyway...granted...just with the Kit lens...just in case...I have had no drops, and a plastic bag seems to work fine if the rain in coming down. I am not sure if this is an option in the 000's, but figured I would get the opinion of the seasoned vets.

I know that I just went on a rant on what I am looking for, and I can understand if you just want to ignore my post, but any and all advice would be great. Just looking to get my feet set and have a starting point as I start researching my options. What has led me here is that Nikon seemed to have more affordable AF fast lens options, and the D7000 has been getting great reviews <- at least what I have read.

Thanks for looking and posting back.

Sincerely

- mackloon
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:18 AM   #2

The d7000 is a very good dslr, you really can not go wrong with it. If you were a huge sport shooter the nikon d300 would slightly better but no HD.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:19 AM   #3

LV view AF is not the nikon's strong suit,
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:57 AM   #4

I could care less about LV AF...how is the AF in video mode?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
AF in LV is the same as AF in Video Mode.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:59 AM   #6

If you are concern with HD video, you will need to care about LV AF. That is the only mode you can shoot HD with. And it is not great on the nikon. Sony has the best for a dslr follow by canon. There was a test of the live with the d7000 for video, and it was not as good as canon or sony in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the info, I am investigating Sony and Canon options.

Though not ruling out anyone, or set on jumping ship, just simply testing the waters.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The d7000 is a very good dslr, you really can not go wrong with it. If you were a huge sport shooter the nikon d300 would slightly better but no HD.
i just compared the 300s and d7000 what would make the 300 better for sports just wondering cause i was looking at the d7000 also
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 4:28 PM   #9

The AF of the d300 is only second to the canon 7D for shooting sports on a aps-c body. The d7000 is good, but the d300 nikon's top aps-c camera, and it was design to shoot sports with that 8fps speed.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:25 PM   #10

It seems to me that your primary reasons for changing have to do with LV and AF while using HD video.

.... and also the cool tech!!!!!

Jumping ship will involve dumping all of those nice Pentax lenses, and building a new lens collection.

There is another possbile solution.....

Buy a Panasonic GH1 or GH2 body. Your LV and AF while using HD video problems disappear, it's cool tech AND you can use ALL of your Pentax lenses viw an adapter!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote