Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1
cod

Default Want non-DSLR High Tech to replace old Olympus C8080

My old C8080 (2003) non-DSLR camera is perfect and has all the features I want except it is OLD. I want the same type of camera with the same controls and features BUT with zoom to at least 24X, image stabilization, much faster processing in tiff, jpg & RAW, noiseless high ISO, EVF, flash & topside hot shoe, Lithium batteries only, and in general, most of the features and controls that DSLRs have, including reliability. I am not interested in the new interchangeable lens cameras.

I have checked all of the new cameras, including the new Leica V-Lux 2 and others, but there is always something that I definitely do not want, like poor high ISO performance (Leica), alkaline batteries (Fuji), no EVF (Olympus), etc.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion from anyone, foreign or domestic, that might know of such a camera. If necessary, I can pass along the specs of the old Olympus which were fantastic for its time but far outclassed by newer cameras today, but all of which seem to lack some important feature.

Many thanks.
cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:47 AM   #2

Have you looked at the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-100? I didn't check to see if it has everything you're looking for, but it has a hot shoe, newer IS system, etc.

I upgraded from the original OLY UZI (C2100) to a Pany FZ-7, so a sort of parallel experience, only with much older cameras. It was an easy transition--loved my C2100 and love my FZ-7.

I'm just now looking to upgrade again, as the FZ-7 is now ancient, and am considering the leap to a dslr (used, due to budget constraints). But if I stay with a high-end ultra-zoom P & S, it'll probably be an FZ-35 (which doesn't have the zoom range you want) or the FZ-40, as the FZ-100 is out of my budget range. If it were in it, I'd be thinking of going that route rather than a used dslr.

I'd try one out if I were you; after having one and trying out a lot of other brands, I think that the Pany FZ ultra-zooms are the only non-dslr I'd consider buying.

Last edited by amc654; Jan 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM.
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:51 PM   #3

As a C-8080 user myself, the best replacement that I could find is the Panasonic FZ40 which has a lot of desirable features, including a High Sensitivity Scene Mode that covers my high ISO needs. Yes, the initial image is just 3mp, but then using good photo editing software you can easily bring it back to 10 to 12mp, and it is quite impressive. I have attached a sample of the High Sensitivity Scene Mode taken at ISO 3200.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:59 PM   #4

Sarah, the reason I suggested the FZ-100 is because the OP wants a camera with a hot shoe for a flash, which I don't think the FZ-40 has.

They are pretty much "sister" cameras, from what I understand; I don't know the exact differences, but the OP should be able to check the reviews here to see.

I love the FZ series, and am still thinking on the FZ-35 if I can't snare a dslr in my price range.... I don't need the zoom range the 40 and the 100 have, so the FZ-35, with its apparently better low-light performance is a good one for me. But I'm guessing the 100 would meet this OP's stated needs.
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:37 PM   #5

amc-

The FZ100 is not without its problems,even though it has a hot shoe. I considered the FZ-100 before I purchased the FZ40, and my choice was the FZ40. I use a Slave Flashes with great success.

If you want low light performance, the FZ-28 is actually better than the FZ35.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:32 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Also might be worth looking at the Canon SX30IS.

Every camera has its compromises of course, but the Canon is a very nice all-rounder and the price has come down quite nicely.