Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:12 PM   #1

Default Samsung nx100, oly epl2 canon s95 or...?

Hi, and happy new year to all. I finally could not decide what camera to get. I did get my daughter a Fuji xp10 which lacks good iq but is shockproof and fun for her to use.

I have decided I want a travel camera and the Samsung and nex seem only slightly larger than a lx5. How travel friendly are they? I would get a s95 if it had a longer zoom range (although i am still deciding its usefulness for me).
Again I am open to suggestions.

1. Size/weight
2. Versatility
3. IQ

If i could find a pocketable without compromising too much iq it would be great.

As always i look forward to your expertise
apo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:28 PM   #2

well I took a epl-1 on a 34 day south east asia trip, and it took a ton of photos. IQ between it and the epl-2 will be the same. The NX is nice, but you are very lens limited, while with the olympus you can use all m4/3 lenses with full AF and aperture control. So you can use olympus and panasonic lenses. And if you want you can also use olympus dslr lenses with an adapter. Here are some samples of what the epl-2 should be able to produce.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...-thailand.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...i-vietnam.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...i-vietnam.html

You can visit the olympus micro 4/3 forum to see more members samples.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ur-thirds-103/
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:36 PM   #3

Thank you, shoturtle those pictures are great. Would you mind sharing which lenses did you use?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:39 PM   #4

some where taken with the kit lens, 14-42, the night shots where taken with the panasonic 20 1.7 and the most of the zoo shots were taken with the panasonic 45-200.

I have play with the samsung, and it is a nice camera. Samsung has come a long way, think they did a nicer job then sony on their evil. The sony nx are just not as good.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:58 PM   #5

You seem to prefrer Panasonic lenses o ver olympus' , are they sharper?
Which of the more compact cameras would you recommend for travel? I am just not sure if the Pen would be carried a lot or left in the room?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:03 PM   #6

the 45-200 is a really sharp lens, and the oly does not have as much reach with the 40-150 which focus faster the the panasonic. The pansonic 20 1.7 is shaper and brighter then the only 17mm 2.8.

But If I were to add a new lens, it most likely be the oly 14-150 as a travel lens when I do not want to carry as many lenses. Or the super reaching oly 75-300mm.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the info.. Which lens is better and which is smaller and lighter thr super zoom pnasonic 14-140 or oly 14-500? And of the pancakes?
I've seen a discusión here about nex cameras but what about panny gf1/2?
Also I have some questions regarding EVIL camereas what would be the things a smaller EVIL won't be able to do? Are larger EVIL more capable than their smaller counter parts or is it just ergonomics and viewfinder? What advantages does and EVIL have compares to say canon s95 (not considering the ability to change lenses?
Lastly which would be the smaller EVIL and is it s good cam?
Sorry to ask so many questions and maybe in a confussiing way, but I am really confused about this type of camera?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:43 PM   #8

the 40-150 is the more compact of the 2 oly lenses.
the pancake are all pretty small, and are about the same size the panny and the olympus.

GF1 and the GF2 are still based on the G1 sensor. And the panny are good from 100-800iso. But if you shoot above that, they get noisey. The GF2 is even smaller, that is why can came out with the 14mm 2.8 for it. To get a even smaller evil camera then the nex.

The GH2 evil was design around a camera with great HD ability, and it is the best low light m4/3 currently on the market. And it is a very capable camera but it is a bigger package. But if you look at all the other evil, they are all very close in performance. The more compact ones just have a more compact layout of controls that the larger panny G's and the samsung NX10 have. Less dials and more buttons. The large ones also have room for the built in EVF.

So people want the built in EVF, but except for the GH2 evf, none of the other built in EVF are as good as oly's removable one.

All the EVIL have better iso preformance then the S95, 1600iso is good on the s95 as a digicam goes, but it does not compare to the Evil's even the panny GF1, G1, G2, G10 which are noise by EVIL standards at 1600iso is still better then the s95. Also you have more aperture control. The is not more the couple of aperture settings on a digicam. With any of the evil lenses you have form atleast f3.5-f22 for the zoom, and f1.7-f22 for the primes depending on the lens. Besides the aperture size that add to the dof control. The much larger sensors also give you more Dof. That is why FF camera have such sweet shallow dof shots. They let you really blur out the background.

It depends on what you are looking for, a digicam is smaller and easy to travel with, a compact evil is a bit bigger. And it is a bigger kit if you want to have more lens options.

the smallest evil are the sony nex3 and the panny gf2, then the nex step up in size are the olympus pen's like the epl-1/2 and the gf2 and sony nex5. Which is the best depends on what you are looking for. Olympus has the best jpeg engines, so the produce excellent photos right our of the camera also since it employs IBIS, all your lenses will be stablized. The other evils use lens base is, and their pancake lens are not IS.

Panny is not a great jpeg engine, and the gf1 has a very good layout, and from 100-600iso it is very clean. The sony has the best sensor for low light currently with the exmor aps-c sensor which is bigger then the panny or oly 4/3 sensor.

And the sony handles noise better at high iso then the samsung aps-c sensor. Also the aps-c evils will give you greater dof control as it does have a larger sensor. Sony has a very good HD system like the panny.

Samsung NX100 has the better lenses of the aps-c evil.

So it comes down to what you need for your type of shooting and the way the camera fits in your hand.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:37 PM   #9

apo-

You might consider the Panasonic GF1 cameras that are currently being closed. The GF1 body that initially sold for $799 is now on sale for $299. That might be worth checking out as there is not that much difference between the GF1 and GF2.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:49 PM   #10

Thanks Sarah, do you know where can I find that price? And what are the main differences betweennthe two?