Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:25 PM   #1

Default canon powershot A520 replacement

Hello,

A few years ago I bought a Canon Powershot A520 based on the review on this site. And I have been happy with it, thanks for that.

Now, I'm looking for a replacement.
I have been reading reviews for compact cameras, but it not so easy to choose this time.

What I liked with the Canon Powershot A520 (and preferably looking for in the new one):
- the wheel on top to choose a scene
- the zoom button was also very easy to use
- that you could take pictures with viewfinder and LCD
- the menu and options (no need for more options)
- the AF-assist

What I would like better than the Canon Powershot A520:
- a larger LCD
- more mega pixels
- if possible > 4x optical zoom
- most important it has to be faster, so you take pictures with flash faster after each other (with the A520 you sometimes had to wait 3-5 secondes between pictures)

I also like the use of AA batteries, but I noticed that most cameras don't use them anymore.

Hopefully someone can tell which cameras would suit my needs most?

For the moment I like the Canon PowerShot SD 4000 IS. It's only missing the a wheel on top to choose a scene and a viewfinder. And only 3.8x optical zoom.

Last edited by ellenu; Jan 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM.
ellenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:25 PM   #2

ellen-

The SD4000 is a very good choice. No, it does not use AA batteries, but it does have lot of Scene Modes that are accessed via the larger LCD screen, because there are too many to fit on the Mode Selector. You get a great F 2.0 lens and the ability to take photos without flash in conditions that were impossible for your old A-520.

You see AA batteries less, and less because AA batteries make for slow re-cycle times between flashes. At the moment Canon only has two cameras left with an optical viewfinder: the new A1200 (which uses AA batteries BTW) and the SD1200.

I have used my SD4000 for 3 months thus far and I have really been pleased with the SD4000's high performance. Here is a photo sample from my SD4000.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:45 PM   #3

Thanks, I have narrowed it down to:
Normal optical zoom:
PowerShot SD4000 IS
PowerShot S95
Large optical zoom:
PowerShot SD4500 IS (10x optical zoom)

Any advice which of the 3 is the better choice?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:00 PM   #4

After reading more reviews, I have narrowed it further down to the Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS or the Panasonic ZS5.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:59 PM   #5

Ellen-

I own and use BOTH the SD4000 and the ZS5. In my opinion, the SD4000 is the clear choice between the two cameras.

The ZS5 will show noticeable noise from ISO 400 upwards and image quality beyond ISO 800 is very marginal indeed. In contrast, the SD4000 is noise free through ISO 3200, and can go to ISO 1600 with ease.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6

Thanks, then I will go for the sd4000.
One last question should I also buy an extra battery or is 1 enough?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:29 PM   #7

ellen-

I purchased an extra battery. However, at least for me, the need was not as great as I had imagined. You might be thinking of the SD4500 which does indeed have a very physically small battery with rather short battery life.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:34 PM   #8

Thanks a lot!
Then a won't buy an extra battery.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:21 PM   #9

Funny...I am also in the process of replacing my canon powershot A520. However, I am planning to buy the Panasonic ZS7. The extra zoom is super appealing to me. I will be taking lots of pictures of my kids outside, so it seems like a good choice to me. I have really liked my canon, all in all, though. I'll be interested to see how you like your new canon. Maybe someday I'll get one of those, too, for the indoor shots, if the ZS7 proves to be crummy indoors (as I have heard from many). Good luck with your new camera!
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:21 PM   #10

acscoggins-

The camera being discussed as a replacement to the OP's A-520 is the Canon SD4000, which only has 3.8X (28 to 108mm). It appears that you are looking for a camera with a longer zoom.

The Panasonic ZS7 is a good outdoor camera, but its performance indoors is only fair to poor due to the very weak built-in flash employed on the ZS7 camera. The Canon SX130 and SD4500 cameras have a better built-in flash unit and more zoom. Perhaps those might be better selections for you.

Sarah Joyce