Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:29 AM   #1

Default DSLR with good HD video recording

Hi Guys iím looking for a new DSLR camera. However I also need a HD video camera for recording videos for my website. So with the different cameras coming out that are both DSLR and HD capable I was thing about just grapping a DSLR and shoot my videos on the DSLR.

My needs for the video are the following.

1. Studio recording where the camera is placed stationary on a tripod whit me presenting whatever needs to be presented.

2. live shooting from events and tradeshows. This will properly include handheld movies and also 360 degrees shots to get a feel for the event.

I visited a shop and took some test videos today and I was not totally impressed. I tried Sony A55, Canon D550 and Nikon D7000. For my first scenario all cameras I tried were quite suitable and all 3 cameras have external microphone support so I can get a god enough quality.

However on scenario 2 I did a simple test I held the camera and turned 180 degrees while shooting a video. None of the cameras did a good enough job the video was quite choppy and the Nikon did nok do continius autofocus even though it should do so. The Sony A55 is the camera that was closest to a smooth image but still far from perfect.

So my questions are du any of you have and experience with a DSLR camera that records full HD that are better than these or perhaps has experience with settings on these cameras that make for a better video quality. It is not 100% essential that the vides shot in scenario 2 are full HD 720p would be fully acceptable.

I hope you can help
ThomasHOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:54 AM   #2

I would look at a EVIL instead if Video is important. The Panasonic GH2, very good EVIL and a great HD setup with a lenses design for HD. It does have a smaller 4/3 sensor the aps-c. But it multi aspect, design with HD in mind. Very clean at High ISO's of 3200 and good at 6400.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Administrator

I'd consider the Sony NEX-VG10 with the included 18-200mm lens, given that it sounds like you want pro quality results covering trade shows, etc., for both still photos and video, all in the same camera. Of course, any choice is a compromise in one area or another.

The NEX-VG10 is geared towards higher video quality with 24Mbps AVCHD video (higher bit rate than the Sony A55) with stereo sound. It has a 14MP APS-C size sensor as used in models like the Sony A560 and Sony NEX-5, with the NEX-VG10 using the new Sony E-Mount lens system (designed for fast and quiet contrast detect Autofocus so that you can get great stereo sound without all of the AF noise you'll tend to pick up using dSLR models trying to autofocus with video), while giving you great still photo quality and still photo features like you'd find on newer Sony dSLR models using an APS-C size sensor.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...39819#features

If you want a smaller camera to go with it that uses the same lens mount system and Sony 14MP APS-C size CMOS sensor, look at the NEX-5. See our review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-5-review.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:08 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The video on DSLR cameras is still stuck between two zones.

1. Quick and dirty for catching special moments. Parents with toddlers, journalists in war zones, etc.

2. Add full steadycam rigs, focussing aids, etc, etc and use for high-end, low DOF shooting generally for big budget stuff with highly trained (film not video) cameramen.

The big zone of medium to high end professional video in the middle is not well served by DSLR video at the moment.

This middle market is best served by either the Panny or Sony models mentioned above, or by dedicated video cameras.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:21 AM   #5

Thankyou for your replyes I have looked at many reviews yesterday and also looked at several videos on youtube done by DSLR cameras. They can definitely make very good quality if you use them within their limitations. With no quick movements of the camera and most shots done stationary.

I found a video done with the Nikon D7000 that are super high quality and where there are quick camera movement 1 minute in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbBKukJzBk&feature=player_embedded#! However that is shot by a professional and properly post processed so the results they get are properly far greater than I could produce with 25.000$ equipment. But at least it that very good quality video are possible.

Regarding the Sony A55 I also found videos most of them much closer to what I would be able to produce right now technically and time wise on tradeshows where the time schedule usually are very limited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dASmzrGswc8
http://vimeo.com/14376901

NEX-5
Has the same tendency as I saw on the A55 as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWCs9CcV4Z0&feature=fvw watch the background when the cyclist passes by.

The Sony NEX-VG10 will most certainly do all video perfectly. However then there is the cost issue. The VG10 is about 3 times as expensive as a A55 (at least here in Denmark) and most certainly not as versatile on the picture taking as the DSLR. But it would no doubt be the perfect scenario for video.

Panasonic GH2 looks interesting I did not find any videos that were shot in the same kind of environment as I would use it in but it looks good. Drawback is that I cannot find anyone that is selling it close to my home. But I must give it a look.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:10 AM   #6
Super Moderator

If I wanted one camera that was equally good at both stills and video I would choose the GH2 for sure.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If I wanted one camera that was equally good at both stills and video I would choose the GH2 for sure.
I found a shop that sells the GH2 half an hour from my work. So i might spend the time tomorrow and see if i can try it out. Because it looks like it would fit my needs in most areas.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:26 AM   #8

The nice thing about the GH2 over all the other dslr and evil is that the 14-140mm lens is design for HD, it is s steeples aperture design. Same as the nex 18-200mm lens, they comparable in price. But with the nex-5 option, you need to buy the nex 5 and add the lens for 800 dollars. Actually making it a little more expensive then the GH2. And the tilt lcd makes for easy tripod operation.