Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_MC View Post
16mp is still too much, maybe if they used 14mp I would not be so doubtful. It would be better if companies would put larger sensors in super zooms, maybe something in the 4/3 range these cameras would be a lot better.
The HS20 is still going to have to prove it self since it's predecessor kind of killed the reputation set by the S200EXR.
They couldn't put a 4/3 in there, maintain anywhere near the zoom levels they offer and keep the cameras at a reasonable size. When Fuji put a 1/1.6" sensor in a superzoom, they had to drop the zoom all the way down to 14x to keep the size/weight within reason. If they put a 30x zoom on a 4/3 camera, you wouldn't even be able to carry it.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
They couldn't put a 4/3 in there, maintain anywhere near the zoom levels they offer and keep the cameras at a reasonable size. When Fuji put a 1/1.6" sensor in a superzoom, they had to drop the zoom all the way down to 14x to keep the size/weight within reason. If they put a 30x zoom on a 4/3 camera, you wouldn't even be able to carry it.
Interesting, never knew there was an actual zoom limit vs sensor size. Learn something new everyday.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:42 AM   #13

I know that its too early to ask but, will the EXR mode at 8MP of HS20, be better than FZ40's 14MP at low light?
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhin999 View Post
I know that its too early to ask but, will the EXR mode at 8MP of HS20, be better than FZ40's 14MP at low light?
It should be. But it to early to tell how the HS20's small sensor will cope with low light, the camera won't be released till March. The reason the S200EXR was good at low light was that the 1/1.6 size sensor, the HS20 will have a 1/2 size sensor which is smaller. The FZ40 has a 1/2.33 sensor but the FZ40 does decent in low light.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:50 AM   #15

nidhim-

Actually, the Panasonic FZ-40 will be the winner in the low light competition, beating out the HS20 by a very good margin. The FZ40 has a special High Sensitivity Scene Mode that allows the FZ40 to take very good image quality at ISO 3200. As before I will attach a different photo sample from the FZ40, again at ISO 3200.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:35 PM   #16

that cannula is looking a bit discolored there Sarah........time for someone to change it out. once a week!! change em once a week LOL
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:37 PM   #17

Thanks, bryman-

Yes, we change every week faithfully.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks, bryman-

Yes, we change every week faithfully.

Sarah Joyce

thats good..ive worked in the oxygen delivery field for 10 years, so its second nature to notice things like that lol
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
nidhim-

Actually, the Panasonic FZ-40 will be the winner in the low light competition, beating out the HS20 by a very good margin. The FZ40 has a special High Sensitivity Scene Mode that allows the FZ40 to take very good image quality at ISO 3200. As before I will attach a different photo sample from the FZ40, again at ISO 3200.

Sarah Joyce
Are you certain you posted the right photo? It's very good but doesn't look like your other FZ40 ISO 3200 photo. The other one is certainly not bad for ISO 3200 but it's much softer and more painterly than the one you posted above.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:37 AM   #20

Thanks for the "heads up" Five-0

It looks like I did post the wrong photo. I will make the change.

Sarah Joyce