Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:55 PM   #21

Have you considered the new Kodak MAX, also coming out in March?

30x SK optical, 12MP BSI CMOS, ISO 64-12000??? (dunno about that one), and $300 on preorder.

This new Kodak is supposed to have HDR (high dynamic range) with their new sensor, and low-light performance is supposed to be great.

Last edited by Kodak Only; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Kodak Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:12 PM   #22

Kodak's superzooms are usually flops but I suppose this could always be the year they come out ahead. Low light performance won't be too impressive though. The 12MP BSI sensors perform worse than the 10MP BSI sensors, which weren't very good to begin with.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:36 PM   #23

Iam a resident of India here the FZ40 retails at around Rs20000, which is nearly $450, do you think its a good idea to buy the lumix FZ40 at this price?
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhin999 View Post
Iam a resident of India here the FZ40 retails at around Rs20000, which is nearly $450, do you think its a good idea to buy the lumix FZ40 at this price?
It would be impossible to judge without knowing the price relative to other cameras. For example, what does it cost in relation to other bridge cameras such as the FZ100 or Canon SX30?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:40 AM   #25

well the relative cost of other models(ie point and shoot super zooms) are equally high. But the matter of concern for me is that an entry level DSLR like the Nikon D3100 retails for about the same as that in US (ie 600$ for the kit).

Right now I cant extend my budget beyond 400$ but what I want to know is that weather is would be wise to wait for a few months and go with a DSLR or right away buy a superzoom like the FZ40?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:45 AM   #26

Well a DSLR will obviously give you far superior IQ over a bridge camera. It won't give you a 24x or 30x zoom in a fairly compact package though. It's really up to you to decide which is more suited to your needs. If you get a DSLR, are you certain you will take it with you as often as the bridge cam?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:09 AM   #27

Well I am not going to print my pictures anything above A4, most of the pictures will be viewed on a PC monitor or on a digital photo frame so do you think that the high ISO images from a FZ40 would look bad?

I really want to do some low light photography and also need that 600mm telephoto reach that this camera packs.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:54 PM   #28

nidhin-

Have you considered that the FZ40 does indeed have a specialty Scene Mode called the High Sensitivity Scene Mode that allows the FZ40 to shoot at numerically high ISO settings such as ISO 3200.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhin999 View Post
Well I am not going to print my pictures anything above A4, most of the pictures will be viewed on a PC monitor or on a digital photo frame so do you think that the high ISO images from a FZ40 would look bad?

I really want to do some low light photography and also need that 600mm telephoto reach that this camera packs.
Bridge cams are definitely not suited for low light. Though some may be capable of operating at high sensitivity, the images will extremely noisy and/or look like impressionist paintings. I was surprised how good Sarah Joyce's example was for ISO 3200, especially on a 14MP camera. However, speaking in absolute terms, the IQ was awful.

That said though, it seems like a bit of a waste of money to use a DSLR just for web prints, PC, digital photo frame, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 7:02 PM   #30

You may give the FujiFilm FinePix S200EXR a thought. It has a larger sensor than other superzooms and great lowlight performance from what I have read and heard. But it only has a 436mm (14X) zoom lens and is out of production.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote