Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:03 PM   #1

Default a superzoom battle

Hello everyone , I am looking for a superzoom camera, and till the last few months I had made my mind to buy lumix fz40, it has everything that I would like to have in a camera except a few things like the low res LCD, poor quality EVF.
But now after the launch of fujifilm HS20, I am confused between both of them, do you have any idea about the IQ obtained from the HS20, if low light images of HS20 are better then I am ready to go with it, I really adore the manual zoom.

Last edited by nidhin999; Jan 15, 2011 at 9:36 PM.
nidhin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:06 PM   #2

If I were to guess, I would guess that the Fuji HS20's IQ may be slightly better than the HS10 but will require pixel binning tricks to get there since it uses an EXR sensor. Surely it will have all the usual Fuji quirks. If you like the HS10, you'll probably like the HS20. If you don't like the HS10, you probably won't like the HS20 either.

If you want low light ability, none of these are the right camera to buy, nor is any bridge camera.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:21 PM   #3

whats pixel binning?
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
whats pixel binning?
The signal from adjacent pixels is combined to improve sensitivity - but is done so at the cost of resolution. So basically the MP are halved or quartered.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5

so is the advertised MP count less than it really is? or do the pics get crappy at certain ranges? i never heard of this so im really curious
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:48 AM   #6

I am currently shooting with the HS10 and the Panasonic FZ40. Based on my personal experience, the FZ40 is the clear choice, at least for me, due to its much better image quality.

As the concern about low light level shooting has been expressed, I am attaching a photo sample of an informal portrait taken at ISO 3200 using the High Intensity Scene Mode on the FZ40.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:55 AM   #7

For those that like to examine things at the pixel level, here is a 100% blow-up of the image posted above.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:03 PM   #8

One thing that worries me about the HS20 is that they crammed 16mp on a 1/2.5 sensor. That is the same size sensor as the 14mp FZ40. But the HS20 is too new to see how it truly performs.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
so is the advertised MP count less than it really is? or do the pics get crappy at certain ranges? i never heard of this so im really curious
Well as the EXR mode needs to be used to get the most out the camera, I suppose you could look at it that way. Honestly though, even 8MP is plenty for most people as it will cover larger prints. From my perspective, I don't like the extra fiddling that is usually involved to get the most out of the EXR cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_MC View Post
One thing that worries me about the HS20 is that they crammed 16mp on a 1/2.5 sensor. That is the same size sensor as the 14mp FZ40. But the HS20 is too new to see how it truly performs.
Actually, the HS20 uses a 1/2" EXR CMOS and the FZ40 uses a 1/2.33" CCD. Still way too much crammed on both but what can you do.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Well as the EXR mode needs to be used to get the most out the camera, I suppose you could look at it that way. Honestly though, even 8MP is plenty for most people as it will cover larger prints. From my perspective, I don't like the extra fiddling that is usually involved to get the most out of the EXR cameras.

Actually, the HS20 uses a 1/2" EXR CMOS and the FZ40 uses a 1/2.33" CCD. Still way too much crammed on both but what can you do.
16mp is still too much, maybe if they used 14mp I would not be so doubtful. It would be better if companies would put larger sensors in super zooms, maybe something in the 4/3 range these cameras would be a lot better.
The HS20 is still going to have to prove it self since it's predecessor kind of killed the reputation set by the S200EXR.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote