Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:12 AM   #1

Default New Camera advice please (Warning:fishing content may offend)

Hi all, I'm after a replacement camera for my old Kodak DX 7590 (which I drowned yesterday after 6 years of great service!). My needs are for kayak fishing magazine work, some for more glossy mags. I'm not a photographer's bum though, I shoot everything in auto mode (and will hang my head in shame here). Often in the yak it's a battle against time to fire off some pics, and it can be low light levels through to brilliant sunshine. It may be in close and personal or off to the horizon in terms of distance. I also get rocked around a fair bit, the slightest wind chop keeps ya honest! After reading some reviews, I'm currently thinking an Olympus SP 800 UZ might fit the bill budget wise, and if it does happen to follow the Kodak in for a swim....I won't be happy but I'll be able to live with my choices. Below are some of the shameless self promoting glory pics which fishermen are good at, and which also illustrate the situations the new camera will need to cope with. Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

PS, if anyones after a cheap Kodak DX 7590 I'm only too happy to flog ya one, I'll even throw in some complimentary seaweed!
PoddyMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:48 AM   #2

Aw, poor sharks. love them.
Don't know, there is an oly that is waterproof, might be useful to you. Do not know the model of it though. Should be easy to locate.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:02 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Canon SD10, Olympus Mju tough 8010, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT2.

All are waterproof down to around 10m, can operate down to around -10C, and proof against knocks and bashes.

I personally think the Lumix looks the nicest and has the best specs on paper. I have never used any of them, but the HD video from the Olympus is very good when used to shoot under water. I was on a swimming course in the summer where the coach used them to analyse technique.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 7:21 AM   #4

Those photo's you posted are really nice. As an avid fishermen myself, I know first hand how difficult the lighting and fleeting opportunities are.
Most of the reviews of waterproof cameras I've read indicate a less then great IQ with these cameras. That said, an ok picture is better then none.
I was using a Canon SD 800is for a few years, small and sturdy. Just got a S95. Waiting for the temps to climb above freezing to try it out fishing

Nice Brownie BTW
Attached Images

Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies lisa, peri and Ekta,.....apprecaited!

I'm not sure the waterproofs will have the Optical zoom I'm keen on, so it's double dry bagging and wiping hands on an old towel for me. I managed 6 years for the Kodak in doing this (not bad for a saltwater environment). If me yak hadn't filled with water, I reckon another couple were on the cards.

Re cameras, is there any opinions on the Olympus SP 800 UZ versus a Kodak Z981...I'm thinking of maybe trading a few Optical zooms for ease of use (or is this line of thinking bogus?).

Ekta, I know the pike and carp...but the 3rd species has me lost. What is the black fish?
PoddyMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:02 PM   #6
Super Moderator

well, there are underwater housings available for the bigger models if that's more to your liking. :-)
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:10 PM   #7

[QUOTE=PoddyMullet;1191273]Thanks for the replies lisa, peri and Ekta,.....apprecaited!

I'm not sure the waterproofs will have the Optical zoom I'm keen on, so it's double dry bagging and wiping hands on an old towel for me. I managed 6 years for the Kodak in doing this (not bad for a saltwater environment). If me yak hadn't filled with water, I reckon another couple were on the cards.

Re cameras, is there any opinions on the Olympus SP 800 UZ versus a Kodak Z981...I'm thinking of maybe trading a few Optical zooms for ease of use (or is this line of thinking bogus?).

Ekta, I know the pike and carp...but the 3rd species has me lost. What is the black fish?[/QUOTE]

The Pike is actually a Pickeral, smaller cousin of the Pike. The other fish is a saltwater Seabass.
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote