Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:51 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but what if you wanted this type of fixed lens camera but didn't have 800+ are there older or other makes that are worth looking at or is this just big buck photography? And yes 800+ is big bucks to me.
Not really. :-(

Probably the best thing around is something like the Canon S95, which you can get for a little over 300 now. Image quality is really astonishingly good.

I think the Panasonic GF1 with 20mm lens is going for around 550 at the moment. Without viewfinder.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:43 PM   #12
Super Moderator

UK price confirmed at 1020 including VAT.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:15 PM   #13

I've been debating on the EP-L1 for a while. I have a Canon S90 as a pocket camera for family events, and nights out, etc. My Nikon D5k with the 18-200 is my everyday shooter, and I use my D300 for sports and when I'm doing paid work. I've wanted something a little smaller than my D5k, and I've seen the Ep-L1 refurbed for as little as $349. However it's so menu centric, and I used to own an E-500 (replaced by the D5k), and hated Oympus's menu system. Now that the EP-L2 will be available soon, the two lens kit for $799 is very appealing, especially with the addition of a dial control, and lens improvements. I'd like to handle it first, but I think that camera is going to take a chunk of my nice tax return. I've been slowly paring down my equipment...I'm down to 5 lenses for my Nikons (used to have 10), and sold my big rolling case and my Canon G10. Adding the Ep-PL2 gives me a small, DSLR quality camera that will fit in my briefcase, or to use when I don't want a DSLR strapped to my neck, but want the quality and flexibility. My D300 is a few years old, but suits my needs well, works like a champ, so I think I can wait another generation before replacing it, which will likely be my next big purchase.

The fuji does look nice...it just doesn't fit my style of shooting
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I've been debating on the EP-L1 for a while. I have a Canon S90 as a pocket camera for family events, and nights out, etc. My Nikon D5k with the 18-200 is my everyday shooter, and I use my D300 for sports and when I'm doing paid work. I've wanted something a little smaller than my D5k, and I've seen the Ep-L1 refurbed for as little as $349. However it's so menu centric, and I used to own an E-500 (replaced by the D5k), and hated Oympus's menu system. Now that the EP-L2 will be available soon, the two lens kit for $799 is very appealing, especially with the addition of a dial control, and lens improvements. I'd like to handle it first, but I think that camera is going to take a chunk of my nice tax return.
If you're interested in the E-PL1 or 2, you might want to read this assessment of the 2 done by a photographer from a photog's view. It's a quick read and gives a slightly different perspective than what's found in a normal review.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:40 PM   #15
Super Moderator

The EPL2 looks tremendous.

If Fuji hadn't read my mind and built the perfect camera for me in the X100, I would certainly be getting one. :-)
Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The EPL2 looks tremendous.
I agree. It looks great, the addition of a dial, and a better grip, not to mention some lens improvements make it very compelling. I know the EP-L1 will give roughly the same IQ, but the better handling makes it worth the extra $ (I think). Although, for $349, the EP-L1 is very attractive, and hard to resist.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:57 AM   #17

Just caught this preview of the Fugi X100 and thought it might be of interest to you.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx100/

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:33 AM   #18

looks like the time to buy is approaching...........

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...100updated.asp

Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:39 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Yes, coming RSN.

I have my name down at 2 places that should be getting stock.

Very exciting.

A lot of people don't understand why anyone would want this camera at this price, and particularly as the sample images don't seem all that impressive. I could care less.

What I like about it:

1. The 0.5x optical/EVF hybrid viewfinder. Wow! Just WOW! Why 0.5x? So that you can see AROUND the area of where the picture will be taken. This phenomenon is an "accident" of old-style rangefinder design, but some people (me for example) find it a hugely positive unintended consequence of the old rangefinder. For me it just works. The great thing about the hybrid viewfinder, is that if you switch it to EVF you get a 1x (100%) view . Best of both worlds.

2. 35mm (equivalent) fixed length lens, not interchangeable. Means you don't have to, indeed cannot, carry extra lenses with you, you simply have to get on with taking photographs. Of course they can make the lens better and smaller because of this. 35mm equivalent is the single classic focal length for RF photography, and 12Mp gives you enough so that you could probably crop down to a 50mm equivalent and still easily make A4, even A3 prints.

3. APS-C sensor. Bigger is better, and APS-C is big enough for a good compromise between low-light performance, background blur, camera size, and sufficient resolution for A3+ prints.

4. It's beautiful. This matters. If you love the way your camera looks and feels in your hand you will use it more.

5. Manual controls. Fast, easy, awesome.

6. Autofocus - in a RANGEFINDER style camera. Move over Contax G2, it's been a while.

Even if the image quality is no better than a m4/3 or entry-level DSLR I would still very much want one. Because frankly IQ from those cameras is just fine up to A3+. Remember the IQ on a Canon 5DMkII (1,700)is no worse, actually possibly better than that from a 1DMkIV (3,400) but the 1D is a better camera in every other respect. So for me the X100 is a better camera in every respect than an entry-level DSLR and therefore worth the extra money even if its IQ is no better. If I can print great images up to A3+ then that's "good enough" IQ.

It is very much the poor man's version of a Leica M9 + 35mm Summicron. (7,000) and will likely give 90% of the IQ up to A3+ for only 15% of the price.

I probably won't be getting rid of my Canon 5DMkII, but I won't be looking at buying an S95 or G12 now either, nor will I be tempted by m4/3 anymore, and I may even be getting rid of my Zeiss Ikon RF.

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote