Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Getting closer...

To a "decisive moment digital"...

The main reason I haven't already bought an Olympus EP-L1 is that it is ugly. Not very adult I know, but i want my DMD to be lovely. I already have a Canon 5D2 if I want great image quality and don't mind ugly!

But the EP-L2 is quite pretty. So how much does it cost?
Body about 450.
Lens 250 (Olympus 28mm f2.8) or 300 (Panny 20mm f1.8)
Viewfinder 100 optical, 225 electronic.

Total cost - 800 to 975 depending on options chosen.

Fuji X100 - now firmly rumoured to be launching at 899.

Advantages to Olympus:
  • Interchangeable lenses.
  • Image Stabilisation

Advantages to Fuji:
  • Bigger Sensor.
  • Better faster lens.
  • Amazing viewfinder.
  • Beautiful. (Even though the Olympus is no longer ugly.)

So my view on these two cameras that no-one has actually used yet...

I'm still going to get the Fuji.
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Hi,

Just caught your post and have to say that I hope the Fuji X100 is everything you would like it be. It appears to be a fine camera.

Me, I guess, I just can't get past the fixed lens limitation as I love the idea of being able to stick the E-PL1 w/lens inside the pocket of my coat ( I wear a game jacket with deep inside pockets for bird hunting) with a 9-18mm wide angle lens in another pocket when i catch a landscape scene I want to capture.

I'll be looking forward to your upcoming posts on the X100.

Zig

P.S. The E-PL1 is NOT UGLY

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:39 AM   #3

The fuji is pretty. But the leica x1 is the better looking of the 2 imho. I keep wanting to get the x1, but can not see getting a fixed lens camera.

Now how is the fuji lens faster, it is only f2, the 20mm 1.7 is faster and is a excellent lens on the oly body.

The epl-1 has proven it's worth to me during my holiday. The ability to change lens was great, and even with the other lenses, it was still compact. And mine is pretty, the silver body with the silver view finder. And if I need more range, I can add the silver 75-300mm. That is a pretty looking camera kit.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:57 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The whole 35mm equivalent fixed lens thing is for those "purists" a.k.a. "pretentious *******" (like me) who feel that the pinnacle of photography is the street and portrait work of photographers like HCB and the Magnum photographers and of course the other early greats.

Really this camera is aimed at people who would really like to be shooting a Leica M9 but cannot afford it. (Like me for example.) The 35mm and 50mm (equivalent) focal lengths are the most popular for this kind of photography, with a slight majority preferring 35mm. Also of course with 12Mp you can crop down a 35mm to give a decent 8Mp 50mm field of view, but you can't go the other way.

Yes indeed f2 is not faster than 1.7, but it is faster than the 2.8 Olympus lens.

Now as to the aesthetics of the EPL1 - it's a tremendously sensible camera. But try as I might I cannot see it as anything other than "challenged" in the looks department. Considering how stunning its sisters the EP-1 and EP-2 are I cannot fail to think that it is certainly the runt of the litter in the looks department. Maybe they thought if they made it too pretty that no-one would buy the EP-2. Actually it's just as well it didn't appeal to me on its looks, because otherwise I'd now be into M4/3 and would be kicking myself because I couldn't then have the X100.

It will be my carry-everywhere camera.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:59 AM   #5

Well, I too like the old style classic rangefinder style cameras. And while it is not a Leica, it does come equipped with a very adequate 40mm f1.7 lens.
Cost at a local flea market 8.00 USD. And yes, it still functions.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:22 AM   #6

The fuji is nice but it does not compare any way close to a m9. They are a whole different class of camera's. The X1 is really what this camera was aimed at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The whole 35mm equivalent fixed lens thing is for those "purists" a.k.a. "pretentious *******" (like me) who feel that the pinnacle of photography is the street and portrait work of photographers like HCB and the Magnum photographers and of course the other early greats.

Really this camera is aimed at people who would really like to be shooting a Leica M9 but cannot afford it. (Like me for example.) The 35mm and 50mm (equivalent) focal lengths are the most popular for this kind of photography, with a slight majority preferring 35mm. Also of course with 12Mp you can crop down a 35mm to give a decent 8Mp 50mm field of view, but you can't go the other way.

Yes indeed f2 is not faster than 1.7, but it is faster than the 2.8 Olympus lens.

Now as to the aesthetics of the EPL1 - it's a tremendously sensible camera. But try as I might I cannot see it as anything other than "challenged" in the looks department. Considering how stunning its sisters the EP-1 and EP-2 are I cannot fail to think that it is certainly the runt of the litter in the looks department. Maybe they thought if they made it too pretty that no-one would buy the EP-2. Actually it's just as well it didn't appeal to me on its looks, because otherwise I'd now be into M4/3 and would be kicking myself because I couldn't then have the X100.

It will be my carry-everywhere camera.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The fuji is nice but it does not compare any way close to a m9. They are a whole different class of camera's. The X1 is really what this camera was aimed at.
Of course, but the X1 too is aimed at people who wish they could afford an M9. The X100 is obviously a pot shot at the X1, but a pretty darned impressive one on paper at least.

My current rangefinder camera (though not with that lens)..

Last edited by peripatetic; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:57 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Fuji X100 - now firmly rumoured to be launching at 899.
$1199 USD from what I can tell from sites taking pre-orders in the US. You'll have to tell us what you see in Europe.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:10 AM   #9

Sorry to hijack this thread but what if you wanted this type of fixed lens camera but didn't have 800+ are there older or other makes that are worth looking at or is this just big buck photography? And yes 800+ is big bucks to me.

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:38 AM   #10

If there was a rangefinder for about 200 bucks with a 25mm equiv lense aps-c, i'd buy it right away. but then i'd start wanting higher end features like remote, manual controls and eventually i'd be back to a dslr.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote