Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:36 PM   #11

Gypht-

I have honestly made a very sincere attempt to quickly follow-up and to provide the required information. However, the information is coming it little bits and pieces.

I am also beginning to seriously wonder whether you closely read the answers that you do receive, Gypht. here is the direct quote from my last lost:

"Hers (meaning your wife's camera) is an advanced ultra zoom camera, that is now no longer current.

The obvious step up camera is an entry level DSLR camera, which would be my choice, or another upper level ultra zoom camera. My recommendation for another much more modern and current ultra zoom camera would be the Panasonic FZ40."

So what I want to/am attempting to convey is that the next step-up camera for your wife, is a somewhat advanced model, that you will not commonly find at walmart, officemax, staples and the like store.

Yes, a DSLR camera uses interchangeable lens. Those lenses range in price from $100 to several hundred dollars. But that is the next step up. I provided a super zoom camera suggestion:the Panasonic FZ40 which is a great super zoom camera, that can be ordered from www.amazon.com with delivery within several days (1 to 4 days).

The step-up camera for your wife is not a common off the shelf camera, we have to live with, and work with that fact. So letting your wife pick out the camera remains an option, as does the option of ordering from www.amazon.com.

Frankly, you have waited too long to purchase a camera gift for your wife, considering the circumstances involved.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Gypht-

I have honestly made a very sincere attempt to quickly follow-up and to provide the required information. However, the information is coming it little bits and pieces.

I am also beginning to seriously wonder whether you closely read the answers that you do receive, Gypht. here is the direct quote from my last lost:

"Hers (meaning your wife's camera) is an advanced ultra zoom camera, that is now no longer current.

The obvious step up camera is an entry level DSLR camera, which would be my choice, or another upper level ultra zoom camera. My recommendation for another much more modern and current ultra zoom camera would be the Panasonic FZ40."

So what I want to/am attempting to convey is that the next step-up camera for your wife, is a somewhat advanced model, that you will not commonly find at walmart, officemax, staples and the like store.

Yes, a DSLR camera uses interchangeable lens. Those lenses range in price from $100 to several hundred dollars. But that is the next step up. I provided a super zoom camera suggestion:the Panasonic FZ40 which is a great super zoom camera, that can be ordered from www.amazon.com with delivery within several days (1 to 4 days).

The step-up camera for your wife is not a common off the shelf camera, we have to live with, and work with that fact. So letting your wife pick out the camera remains an option, as does the option of ordering from www.amazon.com.

Frankly, you have waited too long to purchase a camera gift for your wife, considering the circumstances involved.

Sarah Joyce
Ok not to be rude but I am reading the posts. I have already said I do not want to purchase her a DSLR. I didnt say I wanted a "step up", her camera offers all of the features that I listed in my original post...however its getting old. I never said I had a costco located near me..that was another poster.

As for the timeframe..its called a surprise, yes I know that its a bit late, i have about a week and a half so I COULD order one..but I am very iffy on that beings I cannot test the camera at all..

I cannot let her pick it out as...well it ruins the surprise, and she doesnt know anymore about cameras than I do so we would be lost in the same boat...if thats the case i would rather be the one choosing the camera...

I don't mean to be rude about this, but I think that Ive been pretty clear as to my desires and explaining my situation. The only error I can see that I have made is i didnt get the camera model written correctly.

As for people not reading responses I am sure that you were the one who took the post by acscoggins inquiring about me having a costco nearby as me saying that....which I didnt.

Once again, sorry if this seemed rude..
Gypht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:45 PM   #13

Gypht-

Thanks for your apology. I also offer my sincere apology to you as well.

I hope that we have a solution for the birthday gift. As a wife myself, I understand the importance of a surprise.

The Panasonic FZ40 would be a nice upgrade for your wife, and is NOT a DSLR camera.

Sarah joyce
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:55 PM   #14

Thank you very much. I think I will be buying the Panasonic FZ40 from Fumfie.com as they seem to have it the cheapest. Thank you all very much for all of your suggestions. I will be be buying it until I think wednesday, so if you have anymore suggestions please let me know. Once again thank you all very much!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:23 PM   #15

Have you looked at the reseller ratings?? www.fumfie.com does NOT have a good reputation at all! I would prefer that you be very careful, please.

In contrast, Amazon has a "bulletproof" 30 day no questions asked return policy. B & H is another highly respected retailer who has a 15 day return policy. I am not "pushing" Amazon or B & H, but this is an important purchase, and I do not want to see anything go wrong.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:27 PM   #16

I second Sarah's suggestion of the FZ-40. Panasonic super zoom cameras are always rated amongst the best in class for image quality. Having had both an Olympus super zoom and a Panasonic FZ unit, and liking both, I'd still opt for another Panasonic. I understand, but have no direct experience with it, that the Olympus 800UZ is not as user friendly as past Olympus models or other "equivalent" models from other makers (quotes used because very few cameras are apples-to-apples equivalents).

I'd get her the most suitable one, and if you have to order it instead of buying it at a local store, so be it. More important she get the right camera than it be on time for her birthday! You can get a nice card, print out a nice color picture of the camera you've ordered, and put a cute note in with it and a ribbon around the card!
amc654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:32 PM   #17

Hmm, I will take your advice and purchase from B&H or Amazon. I posted this same question on CNET and I finally for a response. The poster said that the one she currently has was top of the line in 05 it had all the features everyone wanted. The poster then said that there are no cameras on the market with all the features of the Olympus she currently has. I don't know if thats true or not because I still don't know all the features hers has. But the panasonic has the features I requested and I think that will do.

I know hers has like backgrounds and stuff so if I take a photo of my kids I can put them in like a heart shaped cutout..kindof neat but not required..good photo editing software will accomplish this. Once again thank you all very much.