Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:34 AM   #1

Default B-day Present for my wife HELP!

My wife currently has an Olympus SH-500UZ. She really likes her camera, but its getting old and its time for a newer camera. She isn't a professional photographer, just likes to take photos of the kids and the family. She likes good photo quality, she likes to be able to record videos aswell.

I have been looking into cameras and trying to understand the differences......I have failed, thats why I am here. Below are some of the features that I would like the camera to have, however if your suggestions do not have all of the features, thats fine Ill try to list them in order of priority.

Good Zoom
Good Photo Quality
Good Video
I don't know what its called, but being able to take several (good quality) photos in like a second
Another feature would be Pan shots (I think thats the name, where she can take a picture of a wide scene by just moving the camera?)
Background distortion would be nice

I'd rather not get a camera with lenses that need to be bought..which is why I dont want to get her a SLR camera (other than the cost).

I would really like to stay below $300. Thanks everyone!
Gypht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:44 AM   #2

The Panasonic ZS7 is in your price range and would give her what she wants
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:22 AM   #3

Where is the best place to buy that camera? I have checked wal-mart.com officemax.com and radioshack.com. I would rather go into a store to buy it because her birthday is in about a week...this is kindof a last minute surprise gift :-P.

Also any other makes/models that I might be able to find at one of those stores? I dont have a best buy around here so I cannot go there either...the only other store is K-Mart.

Thank you very the swift response!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4

gypht-

Panasonic cameras are much easier to find on the internet. So, how about the Canon SX130, another very good camera with very good reviews, that can be found at any of the "big box" stores, such as walmart, officemax, bestbuy, and staples.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:33 PM   #5

You can get the ZS7 at Best Buy, but only via their website. They carry the very similar ZS5 in the stores, so you can go there and check it out. Then they can order it for you on-line. I'm getting ready to order mine from Amazon. FYI, Best Buy also has a good (I'm told) memory card on sale for $29.99 ...normally around $45. Same thing is on Amazon for $24.99.
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 1:34 PM   #6

Sorry...I just read your post about not having a Best Buy nearby. What about Costco? They carry the ZS6, which again, is practically the same camera, but without GPS.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:37 PM   #7

No Costcos either.

I checked out that Canon on cnet reviews, it seems like a nice camera. I was messing around with my wifes camera today just trying to see what features it has...and it seems like it does alot. Can anyone tell me which of the 3 cameras is actually better? and why? (The Panasonic and Canon that were mentioned above compared too my wifes Olympus SP500UZ).

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just wanna make sure I am giving her a step up or if I should just buy her something completely different if hers is still pretty good.

Thanks guys for helping me, I have posted this question on some other forums and no one responds :-(.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:04 PM   #8

One thing that I think gives the Panasonic an edge is that fact that it is smaller in size. I don't know how the burst mode compares to the Canon, but the people at Best Buy and National Camera seem to think the Panasonic has an outstanding burst mode that is better than its competition from Sony and Canon.

What if you let your wife pick it out? Being a wife myself, I am always happy with that option! :-)
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:14 PM   #9

gypht-

Thank you for finally correctly telling us the model number of your wife's current camera. Hers is an advanced ultra zoom camera, that is now no longer current.

The obvious step up camera is an entry level DSLR camera, which would be my choice, or another upper level ultra zoom camera. My recommendation for another much more modern and current ultra zoom camera would be the Panasonic FZ40.

But then we run into the same problem as before. You will not find a Panasonic camera in a big box store. You next mentioned Costco: that is an option, but please realize that knowing exactly what cameras are stocked in your local Costco store is almost impossible. So all I can do is suggest cameras that I can see on www.costco.com.

After looking at the www.costco.com website, the best selection is the camera shown in the attached photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:27 PM   #10

Sorry if I confused anyone with my wifes model, I didnt realize the typo. I do not have a Costcos near me. Also aren't the SLRS the ones that have the additional lenses that cost alot? I would let me wife pick it out..but that ruins the surprise :-P. I know it is almost impossible to determine which cameras each local Wal-Mart, K-Mart, OfficeMax, and Radio Shack have, but I was hoping for atleast a camera idea that I could see if they have them online and or I could call the store and see if they have it.