Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Default Pls CHOOSE! Olympus E-5 wZuiko 12-60 or Canon 60D w17-55 2.8 is/USM

Hi Everyone!

I'm grateful for EVERYBODY's work and input at Steve's.

And… I would be so grateful to hear what STANDS OUT to YOU as most significant advantages, and/or your thoughts if you happened to care about what I claim to care about (below). Please, everyone, chime in on ANYTHING you think might tip the scale…

I may well be a philistine, but for photography, I (for one, maybe the only one :shock LOVE the articulated screen. I have some physical issues, AND my early forays in with the flippy screen helped me SEE things in so many new ways. (Enough defensiveness, sorry.)

So, if you had $XX and a choice of one new camera and one lens (and happened to love the flippy screen despite its certain disadvantages for photo...), would you go with

a) Olympus E-5 wZuiko 12-60 2.8-4.0 or
b) Canon 60D w17-55 2.8 is/USM

I've narrowed it down this far: either way, I get flippy scr. + a WAY BETTER THAN KIT lens (both arguably best in class, according to most and about everyone else).

I've read reviews far and wide, comparing everything. Everybody is disappointed with both in lots of and different ways (in terms of body).

If I had to say what's most important to me, now, I'd probably go in this order (roughly):

Photo over video, low light capability w/o flash, best, sharpest, most honest overall picture, fastest-most accurate autofocus speed, image stabilization (in body on Oly combo, in lens in Canon combo), functionality of use with flippy screen… don’t care about video, art filters, in cam processing…

Can someone tell me WHY the OLY is still 12 bit? Does THAT matter?? (esp. given lens quality?)

Okay, please, fight fair, keep it clean, and know that I would be most grateful for your thoughts.

Most Sincerely, and best wishes to you all,

Superdonut
[email protected]
Superdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:35 PM   #2

Canon. Faster. Better IQ b/c of bigger sensor.

As for stuff like sharpness, accurate colors - that stuff is all user-dependent. It can be tweaked in-camera or on the computer.

As for the fact the Oly is 12 bit - I'm assuming your talking about its images - that doesn't matter since your computer screen is probably 8 bit unless you have a professional monitor .
TechOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:27 PM   #3

me, I like canons. Faster...bigger sensor...you know, bigger is better. Great Lenses. Since I don't tweak post production, yes, it is in the user I just am very picky in what and how I shoot. Shoot till I get it right...I know what I want...etc.tweak F-stop, shutter speed, etc. Photo is always more important to me as well. Flip screen is important to me as well...I like to shoot mushrooms and they are usually low...and need to see what I am shooting.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:12 PM   #4

The canon setup has the faster lens at 2.8 through the whole range, and bigger sensor to give you better dof control AF the speed the oly is actually faster. The oly does have the better jpeg engine follow by the canon. So these two cameras will give you the best jpegs on the market. Lenses, the canon has allot more option in the upgrade path, but the lenses oly has are really good as well. The canon is the better low light camera.

I shoot a 60D personally and there was allot of bashing of it for no real reason, as most of the criticism were unfounded. Allot of people base their bashing base on paper without really using the camera, and said it was not as good as it's competition or the model it replaced. Which was not true.

E5 is a more expensive camera, as it is a higher tier camera. Really meant to go up against the 7D, pentax k-5 and nikon d300.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 21, 2011 at 3:21 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:17 PM   #5

Looking a little longer term, canon has an upgrade path. a real good one. i'm not sure about olympus. really. not sure. not trying to say it doesn't.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:20 PM   #6

yup, the canon does have the best lens path out there.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:45 PM   #7

Default Choosing Wisely

It's more-or-less a given that the Oly E5 will be the last of the "full-size 4/3rds bodies." The next generation of Oly Pro cameras are slated to be micro 4/3rds.

If you are looking to buy and keep the camera and lens combo, then this doesn't make a difference. However, you should be aware that with the E5 you are buying the end of a camera line--in essence an orphan.

The Canon 60D will be noticeably better, noise-wise, in poorer light, at ISO 800 and above, and whenever you try to rescue/improve an underexposed photo.

The E5 has killer-fast focusing with the 12-60 and in moderate to great light, this combo is almost as close as you can get to the best all-around carry-around package.

They are both good choices, with dissimilar pros and cons. The Canon is a better over-all value, has more room for growth in the canon system, and better low-light/hi ISO perfomance.

The Oly produces perfect jpgs right from the camera, is bult like a tank and weather sealed (which could be a big deal based on where you live and what kind of weather you are going to be shooting in). The Oly dust reduction system is best in class.

I'd probably make my choice on how the cameras feel and how intuitive the user interface (buttons/menus/etc) are for you. Oly menus can be daunting, but once mastered they give great flexibility and the so-called super control panel makes changing settings on the fly easy to do. Canon menus are better organized out of the box and some find them much easir to use in the long-run, but the physical buttons and dials aren't as well sorted (to my way of thinking anyway).

So, those are my thoughts.

Cheers JD
jsdriggers is offline   Reply With Quote