Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:50 AM   #1

Default Canon s90 or Olympus Pen e-p1?

Hi everyone.

About six years ago I did a bit of amateur photography during college using a Canon Powershot a80, and just recently I decided to get back into and started looking for a better camera.

After reading glowing reviews for the Pansonic Lumix FH20 I bought one which arrived two days ago. I spent the afternoon out with it yesterday and was somewhat disappointed with it. My old Powershot is a hell of a lot better taking photos inside and although the Lumix is better outside in the bright sunshine I still felt it was very hit and miss and just generally not up to scratch.

I've been hearing very good things about the Canon s90, but because the image sensor isn't all that bigger than the Lumix FH20 I'm a little sceptical. The Olympus (which is only 50 more) has a much bigger sensor and I'm not fussed about it not having a flash or view finder. The problem is that I'd like to be able to carry it out around with me in my jeans pocket which I could do with my old Powershot, but from basic guesswork the Olympus with it's big lense looks to be about 3" which if true might be just too big for that. After buying a Panasonic Lumix I'm also not too sure about straying from the Canon brand as well since I was very happy with my old Powershot.

Is the Powershot a lot better than the Lumix FH20? Would I be able to fit the Olympus in my pocket?

Thanks for the help guys.
hellodarren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:24 AM   #2

I own the E-PL1 and while I'm very happy with it's performance, build quality and the images it is capable of delivering, I wouldn't call it a camera that I can stick in my pocket. I can fit in the side pockets of my cargo pants. But, as a general rule, I just hold it in my hand when walking around taking photos.

A new intriguing camera just released by Olympus, is the XZ-1 compact. The previews are very positive, especially as regards to the lens and the image quality it can deliver. There is a preview complete with photo gallery at DPReview which contains some impressive low light and night photographs:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusXZ1/

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:58 AM   #3

Wow your e-pl1 photos are very impressive, in particular the super-macros which is an area that interests me and is one of the reasons why I was favouring the Olympus. The size is a bit of a worry and I've been struggling to find any dimensions for the camera+lense. If it was maybe 2.5" then it might be okay but anything more than that and I'd have to carry it all of the time and isn't great for being discreet (I don't want to get mugged here in the city)!

Oh and I suspect the new compact will be way out of my price range. The p1 seems to be getting cheaper thanks to the p2.
hellodarren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellodarren1 View Post
Wow your e-pl1 photos are very impressive, in particular the super-macros which is an area that interests me and is one of the reasons why I was favouring the Olympus. The size is a bit of a worry and I've been struggling to find any dimensions for the camera+lense. If it was maybe 2.5" then it might be okay but anything more than that and I'd have to carry it all of the time and isn't great for being discreet (I don't want to get mugged here in the city)!

Oh and I suspect the new compact will be way out of my price range. The p1 seems to be getting cheaper thanks to the p2.
Thanks,

The depth of the E-PL1 with the standard 14-42mm lens( when closed) is 3 3/4" which is actually pretty small when you consider the flexibility that this camera provides. The dimensions of the E-PL2 should be about the same.
By the way, if you are interested in the E-PL1, I would hold off and get the ELP-2 as it has an improved version of the 14-42mm kit lens. It is faster to AF and almost silent.

As for the XZ-1; the price as listed today is $500USD.

As for worrying about getting mugged, I can't say for certain but the "lowly" Olympus cameras are typically overlooked for the more "stylish Canons and Nikons"

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:54 AM   #5

zig-

I noticed that in the XZ1 samples that the numerically highest ISO used was ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
zig-

I noticed that in the XZ1 samples that the numerically highest ISO used was ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

It's great when you have a lens as fast as the one used in this camera. F1.8 at 28mm (equiv focal length) and f2.5 at 112mm certainly allows the use of lower ISO settings such as you mentioned for night time photography. Good catch.......

Zig

Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:57 AM   #7

I would go with the epl-1 if you really want better low light ability, it can shoot well upto 2000iso. And you can get the panasonic 20mm 1.7 prime lens, giving it even greater low light shooting ability.

S90 is a great digicam, but will not keep up with the much larger sensor of the epl-1. And the epl-1 gives you a nice growth path, with interchangeable lenses. Here are just some examples of what the epl-1 can do in low light. I put the epl-1 in my jacket pock all the time as the kit lens does compact down, and with a fast prime lens it is a bit smaller. But it will not be a jeans pocket camera like the s90.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...-thailand.html
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8

EPL1 will give you some room to grow with your renewed interest. Better image quality and results and some choices to expand. I saw the EPL2 in a video and for the extra money the lens was the one thing that would make it a better buy. Yes it does have an extra art filter and the ability to combine them as well. The dial in back is a rotating one to boot. Just not the kind of upgrade I think is worth waiting for or even considering as a real upgrade to the EPL1. Olympus has been cranking them out though. Four 4/3 bodies in less than two years.

EPL1 and the Pana 20mm 1.7.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:17 PM   #9

I saw that review on digitalrev.com on the epl-2. I agree save the money on the body and get the 20 1.7 to go with the kit lens. I would visit the olympus micro 4/3 section of steve's if you have more question on any of the olympus pens. And with the new pen, the epl-1 has dropped in price.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ur-thirds-103/