Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:06 PM   #1

Default Olympus PEN E-PL1, Lumix DMC-LX5 or Panasonic XZ1?

For three years I have had a Nikon P50 camera. I have always been very pleased with the results with the exception of indoor pictures. A recent holiday resulted in irreparable damage from dust and sand.

I was thinking of getting a Canon G12, Lumix DMC-LX5 or Panasonic XZ1 as a replacement. In reviews both the last two seemed to come out well for indoor photos because of the big sensors (although the dpreview seems to warn against both makers doing a bit of a cheat by putting on a bigger sensor and then not using it):
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusXZ1/page3.asp

While trying to decide I was told the Olympus PEN E-PL1 would give better images and this intrigued me as it is only 300 euros now in Europe (the Panasonic is 400 euros and the Oly XZ1 is 479 euros). From the reviews it seems to be aimed at the point and shoot user looking to step up. I know it is heavier but if I stuck to one lens it would not be that much weightier and I would have the chance to play around with lenses if I wanted later. I like the idea but am not a dedicated or expert enough user to risk investing in a DSLR.

I have spend several evenings reading about the three cameras and other potential purchases and the more I read the less I can make my mind up. As there is a big price difference I was thinking of plumping in the middle and getting the Panasonic. It has had good reviews for indoor work. I am not sure the XZ1 is worth the money just to buy something that came out this month.
likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:28 PM   #2

Yes the epl-1 with the larger sensor will give you better image quality and better low light. the epl-1 at 1600iso is better then the lx5 and will be better then the xz1 at 1600iso. There is pns 1600 and then there is dslr level 1600iso. The epl-1 uses the same sensor as the olympus dslr.

And in the states, the epl-1 is less expensive then the xz1 and lx5 at some shops. But the epl-1 is a larger camera then the xz1 and lx5 and just slightly bigger then the g12. Growth wise the epl-1 will grow with you needs with different lenses.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:56 PM   #3

And I can just use it with the lens that comes will it and still get as good photos as with the compacts? I don't need to buy lots of lenses unless I decide to specialize?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:59 PM   #4

you will have pretty much the same zoom range as the compacts. And it does a nice job. I use the kit lens as a walk around lens. Here is a recent sample with the kit lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...a380-tour.html
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:14 PM   #5

Certainly nice shots, very crisp. One thing I have notice with the review samples though is that they tend to be shots of things I might never shoot or conditions I can't compare. A family photo inside under normal household night lighting conditions would be the most telling test of a camera for me.

Last edited by likes; Jan 25, 2011 at 2:19 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:26 PM   #6

Here are some regular shoots with indoor lighting, some flash, some not.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...m-germany.html

I do not use the kit lens really for indoor work, I prefer primes for that. But there are some indoor lighting samples in the oly 4.3 forum.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/#d...e-lens-cameras