Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:30 PM   #1

Default zs5 vs fz35

hi this will be my first camera and i was wondering what is better between both of these. i can get the zs5 for 180 and i was just wondering if its worth the extra 60$ to upgrade to the fz35 or if it won't make that big of a difference?
camerauser69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:49 PM   #2

Well they are 2 entirely different cameras. If you don't mind the added size, then go for the FZ35 which will offer you a longer zoom and better flash. Overall IQ is very similar. (I own both the ZS7 and FZ35) The handling on the FZ35 isn't great (FZ40 is much better) but it's tolerable.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:57 PM   #3

i want something i can just whip out and shoot photos with but have some really good image quality, is the added bulk of the fz35 really that bad? is the quality all that different between the zs5 and the fz35. Or do you guys have any other better reccomendations for the price. i'm bascially just looking for the best bang for the buck for 150-200$
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:13 PM   #4

oh and would the sx130 beat the zs5 even though its 20$ more?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerauser69 View Post
i want something i can just whip out and shoot photos with but have some really good image quality, is the added bulk of the fz35 really that bad? is the quality all that different between the zs5 and the fz35. Or do you guys have any other better reccomendations for the price. i'm bascially just looking for the best bang for the buck for 150-200$
No the image quality between the 2 isn't very different at all. You would have to check the specs but I'm fairly sure there are wider aperture options as you zoom on the FZ35 (more light means you stay at lower ISOs, all else being equal). The FZ35's size isn't bad at all either. It won't fit in a pocket but it's actually fairly small. Compared to the FZ40 though, I just don't find the FZ35 controls to be intuitive. Some of the top buttons have to be held down to be activated and the Quick Menu is accessed via a fidgety joystick. However, the FZ35 is noticeably smaller than the FZ40 and head-to-head, it generally takes pics w/ less noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerauser69 View Post
oh and would the sx130 beat the zs5 even though its 20$ more?
Well it has a stronger flash and imho, Canon has better colors. It is a bit bigger than the ZS5 though.

If size isn't a huge concern (and all 3 camera are small or fairly small imho), then I would go with the FZ35.