Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Default Need Assistance. Canon S90 or S95 or Sony WX5

Hi,
I want a point and shoot camera which is good in low light. The camera will act as a back up camera and I intend to use it in places where it is not feasible to carry or use a DSLR.....the camera should fit comfortably in my pocket.

Which one of the following would you all recommend:

Canon S90
Canon S95
Canon SD4000
Sony WX5

Any other cam recommended?

Thanks in advance.
solaris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

For your purposes its a short list.

Only the Canon S90/95 can handle low-light from your list.

The Panasonic LX5 and newly introduced Olympus XZ1 have similar low-light capabilities in slightly bigger packages.

For a small/pocket backup for a dslr, the Canon S90/95 are the best bet out there.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
For your purposes its a short list.

Only the Canon S90/95 can handle low-light from your list.

For a small/pocket backup for a dslr, the Canon S90/95 are the best bet out there.

Thanks for your reply....
so my follow up would be, is it worth to pay the extra for S95 or should S90 do the trick?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris2 View Post
Thanks for your reply....
so my follow up would be, is it worth to pay the extra for S95 or should S90 do the trick?
The primary improvements of the S95 are HD video and general ergonomics. If you can still find a new S90 and those improvements aren't important, then go for an S90. Assuming you can find one, it should be about half the cost of an S95. I know Best Buy had them for $160 or so when they were clearancing them out.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5

Thank you all. I am going to go for S90 then.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:41 AM   #6

I'm in a similar situation. This review seems to suggest that the Panasonic LX5 is the best bet for low light:
http://www.bythom.com/compactHQ1.htm

The Olympus XZ1 might be equally good or better if you look at the specs but it is not yet on the market.
likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes View Post
I'm in a similar situation. This review seems to suggest that the Panasonic LX5 is the best bet for low light:
http://www.bythom.com/compactHQ1.htm

The Olympus XZ1 might be equally good or better if you look at the specs but it is not yet on the market.
i see you linking this review everywhere. and i think you didn't even interpret it correctly. we have looked at many many reviews. and the simple fact is, there is not a lot of difference in low light between these competing models. they all perform better than a standard compact, but worse than a bigger sensor evil or dslr.

the Canon is the easy pick here as pocketable camera backup for a dslr. it is smaller, does not have the portruding lens of the lx5 and doesnt have a lens cap to keep track of.

now that is not to say the lx5 is not a great camera, it is, it has better control layout and more options like accessory port and flash hotshoe. but it is bigger and hard to fit in most pockets.

i just want to say that in general do not make conclusions like (this camera is best in lowlight/whatever) based on 1 review, it takes much research and condensing across both professional reviews and user reviews on forums. and making statements like that can be misleading.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:29 PM   #8

What abt Olympus XZ-1? Is it up there with the Canon's and Samsung? Pocketable?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:36 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the Olympus looks like a great camera. the lens is good and has olympus' great jpeg engine.
but it would be less pocketable than the Canon, as it is bigger than both it and the panasonic lx5