Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:58 AM   #1

Default Canon 550d or kissx4? and lenses.

Ive been reading the forums wildly for a little while now looking to make the break from point and shoot to DSLR.

From reading I decided to get the 500 or 550D but then after weeks of pondering my indicision crept in again after spotting the Kissx4 which appears to be a 550D but at the price of a 500D.

I was just wondering has anyone given a kissx4 a punt? (from a uk dealer offering a warranty) as it would leave me more money for a better lens.

As a side note I was after thoughts on a lens as well. It will be for nature/landscape shots intially to learn what I'm doing. My inital thoughts are to get a Canon 18-135 IS rather than a Canon 18-55 IS (std kit lens) but having not tried either wondering if the benefits are worth the additional cost.

I'm off on safari later this year and will get a Zoom lense then, probably the Canon 75-300 but no doubt will need some help with this 1 then.

Thanks in advance.
Didler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2

the kissx4 is the 550D, just a different name for a different market, Asia. Like the 550D is the T2i in the states. So in the UK it is most likely gray market.

Skip the 75-300, go with less range like the 55-250 or pay more for the 70-300IS USM instead. The 75-300 is not a good lens.

The kit lens will work for most what you want to do, the 18-135 has more distortion but better range. The 18-55 is good lens, but you might find it a bit shor as a walk around lens.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3

Hi they are the same camera just for a different market place. In the USA its know as the T2i. I would be concerned on warrenty if it was offered in the UK it sounds like a grey import.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4

I will have type quicker lol
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5

LOL, yeah we both came to same conclusion it is a gray market camera. lol