Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:33 PM   #1

Default Looking To Upgrade From My Panasonic FZ30

I am looking for some advice on what to buy.

I take pictures for software applications, these tend to be subjects like cars, aircraft, scenes and such.

I have a Panasonic FZ30 which I bought for a safari holiday a few years ago, its ok but too slow - if I try to take a moving image I will always miss the shot.

I am thinking to upgrade to a DSLR, I need live view with a tilting LCD and a good zoom as I often have to take 'covert' images.

After looking around I like the look of the Canon 60D, large images that I can crop, big selection of lenses, not too expensive.

I figured I could get the kit 18-55mm lens and the 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens or MAYBE the 70-200mm f/2.8 - pricey but could be worth it if it can get me good low light/night images.

Any other cameras I should consider? Cost is a secondary factor, I'm not an expert shooter by any means but I would like to take things further and could earn a bit more with my images with a some good kit.
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:29 PM   #2

with the tilt and with the lens selection you want, not really. Canon might be coming out with a less expensive tilt that will be the top rebel, the t3i in april. But if you want something sooner then May the Sony A580 or A560 will have a tilt, but will not have the lens selection of the canon. And the tilt is not as well design as the panasonic inspired one canon uses.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:30 PM   #3

G'day daclick

You say that "I take pictures for software applications, these tend to be subjects like cars, aircraft, scenes and such." and "I often have to take 'covert' images."

There is almost universal consensus that the kit lenses will not go the distance when it somes to both mechanical reliability & also lens performance in low light

Your thought of a 70-200-2.8 is a good one - yes very pricey indeed
For your other day-to-day lens, what about say, a siggy 18-125??
Better IQ that the kit 18-55 and it leaves no image -non-coverage between 55 & 70mm

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:10 PM   #4

I would look at the FZ100...it takes excellent photos of high contrast objects....600mm Zoom to 25mm Wide...5 Shot Burst with AF and you can go to 11 fps full res or 40 or 60 fps with reduce res...It also shoots excellent HD video...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:30 PM   #5

No offense, LTZ-

But for me, at least, I have been more pleased with the FZ40 than the FZ100. here is an dark existing light sample taken at ISO 3200 using The High Sensitivity Scene Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:50 PM   #6

G'day again da click

I have a visitor this weekend - a fella with the Fuji EXR200 with which I am shooting side-by-side comparison images with both my Fz30 and the Pentax Kx

If you can wait 48hrs for me to put it together, I'll put up some image comparisons

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote