Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:02 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-x + lenses or better camera w/kit lense

Hello, I need a good DSLR camera for my wedding I have in May, 2011. We don't have enough money to pay for a photographer, but will have about $1000 to spend on a camera. My question is should I get the Pentax K-x with kit 18-55 lens and add on a portrait lens or spend $1000 on a better camera with only the kit lens. If I get a better camera I've narrowed it down to the Sony A580 and for a cheaper camera+ spending money on lenses I've narrowed it down to the Pentax K-x. After the wedding I plan on using the camera mostly for sports, wildlife photography and family pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also if you recommend the Pentax with additional lenses, what lenses do you recommend.

Last edited by dwbs25; Feb 1, 2011 at 6:05 PM.
dwbs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:37 PM   #2

Who'll be using it to photograph your wedding?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:39 PM   #3

A family member with past photogrphy expierence with 35mm, but not very much with digital.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:41 PM   #4

well are you going to have indoors shoots. If so you will really need a flash to get good results. So factor in 220 dollars into that budget. It is a must if you want any of the indoor stuff to turn out nice for your wedding. With a flash the kit lens on the k-x, k-r or the sony a580 will work ok. If you want to take nice portraits. Then something like the pentax FA 50 1.4 would give you some very nice photos. But get a book as a dslr will required some learning. It is a important moment and you really want to be able to capture the memories for the future.

dslr for dummies is a good one. And easy to follow alone.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 2, 2011 at 9:33 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:41 AM   #5

So from everything Ive been able to read online, it seems that there is not a huge difference between IQ on most of the sub $1000 DSLR. It seems like the better way to go might be the cheaper camera pluse a portrait lense and an indoor flash.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:17 AM   #6

Besides flash for the wedding, you should keep in mind that sports and wildlife shooting can be very demanding. Depending on what you want to shoot and your expectations of quality, consumer telezooms may not be good enough. I don't say this to discourage you, only to educate. What specific sports do you want to shoot? Where will you be shooting from for each sport? What are your expecatations - facebook photos or quality prints? What types of wildlife photos (be specific as to types of wildlife and circumstances - i.e. it's a lot easier to photograph a deer in the backyard than an eagle in the wild and photographing birds in flight is different than birds at your bird feeder.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:03 PM   #7

Image quality is pretty even between mid level and most entry level. The big difference is the other performance items, like faster frames per sec, faster and more accurate auto focus system big item for sports.

The sensor in the K-x is the same one as the one in the nikon d300 their top of the line aps-c sport camera. But there is different processing that nikon and pentax uses in their jpeg process, and raw processing. That but the IQ is very close if not exact.

The only dslr that do not match up as well in image quality as higher end camera, are the sony entry levels, like the A290, A390, A380 and A330. They do not preform as well in low light, as they used the older design cdd sensors and do not really shot well pass 1600iso, while the new cmos sensors will shoot fine at 3200 and can be pust to 6400 iso.

So like johng has mention. If you want to shoot heavy sports, the lenses will be very important and very expensive. And the higher end bodies with their faster AF system will be important.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:17 PM   #8

G'day dwbs

I have the K-x + a sigma 18-125 as a 'basic' dSLR kit ... cost me around $750
Works okay, focuses and shoots 'real fast'; comes up okay with most things
Maybe it could be suitable for you

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:24 PM   #9

I plan on shooting general wildlife, i.e yellowstone etc. For sports I shoot lots of motocross and kids sporting events. Im looking for quality pictures and not "facebook" pictures and if that means getting a better camera I will. I do appreciate everyones help.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:16 PM   #10

what kids sports? what level? there is no single lens for every sport. The details will determine which lens(es) you need.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote