Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbs25 View Post
I purchased the FZ100 and returned it for the older FZ35. The FZ100 was the worst camera I have ever had for indoor or even semi low light photography. In high light it did fine. The FZ100 is amazingly fast (up to 60 FPS or I was getting 14 with auto focus and a fast card). The zoom is decent not great. Overall I was getting much better IQ with my old 4mp Olympus. The FZ35 does take marginaly better pictures, but it is a lot slower. I also just purchased a Pentax K-x, which is not a lot more expensive then the FZ100. Overall I do not recommend the FZ100, not even to my worst ememy unless you are only taking very high light outdoor photography.
The FZ100 has a Hot Shoe and you can't get good indoor photos? Also the Flash output can be easily adjusted?...I don't like to use flash myself but it is necessary at times in dark rooms with P&S cameras with small sensors...ANY small sensor camera...

Sounds like you are trying to buy "up" to a camera that takes good photos for you...that gets very expensive...pick one of the cameras anyone and really take time to learn that one particular camera...and you will soon see you can take a very good photo with any camera that has decent controls available...
FZ100 Flash:

FZ100 Outdoors at night:

FZ100 Indoors No Flash (Most Handheld/Braced):

Last edited by LTZ470; Feb 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:04 PM   #12

LTZ-

What remote service are you using for the photos that you are posting??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
LTZ-

What remote service are you using for the photos that you are posting??

Sarah Joyce
They are hosted at Flickr.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:04 PM   #14

LTZ470, those are indeed wonderful pictures. Nice job. I took over 5000 pics with the FZ100 and only a few of them came out ok. When I returned the camera the guy at the camera store advised that he has had multiple people returning the FZ100. The FZ100 is a P&S and therefor its not made for the expert who knows how to properly tweek the camera. As a P&S the FZ100 sucks. I have 4 P&S and 1 35m SLR's and the FZ100 is the worst IQ wise in my opinion. I do agree with you on that fact that you need to fully learn the inner workings and options of your camera. The FZ100 just didn't do it for me aas well as many other reviewers.
btw, that outdoor photo with the older guy and the fire is quit amazing.

Last edited by dwbs25; Feb 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM.
dwbs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:16 PM   #15

locking the camera at 200iso and below, and shooting longer exposure is one option with a pns to get better indoor results.

But between the panny and canon. I would go try them out at the store and see which you feel fits you better in the ergo department.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:13 AM   #16

But there are many reviewers that love the FZ100 and are getting absolutely wonderful shots like mine out of it...owning equipment doesn't make you photog...knowing how to take a photo with the camera that is in your hands does...I returned two SX30's just didn't care for the shot output and the ergonomics, but you don't see me bashing it cause "I" can't take photos that I desire with the SX30...because there are some folks that do very well with it...and it is a capable camera...

The FZ100 sux for you because "you" can't take a good photo with it...other folks can and do, I can post 100's for you...so it's not the camera...most folks don't even read the manual for a new camera as they think they know how to use a camera already so this camera should be no different...lol...I always download the manual ahead of time for any new camera I buy and read the manual sometimes more than once prior to even getting my hands on it...this is the advice of many experienced photogs and the best advice on the market...

You should own a Canon 7D!...if you don't want to learn the inner workings of a camera (I tried the 7D without reading the manual)...lol...all of the advanced P&S are going to require learning the camera in this day and time from the Canon SX30 to FZ40 to FZ100 to HS10...even the FZ35....even the old FZ50 requires you learn the ropes...why?, because they are advanced P&S's...and it does take a working knowledge to achieve good photos with them...but once this is achieved you can get some excellent results...BTW I have several books on the 7D now and have read and reread them all and also taken many more photos to get a working knowledge of the 7D...when I bought it I was frustrated with it the same as you were with the FZ100...now I really enjoy shooting with it and I know how to use it...

This is just in Macro Mode no conversion lens.. Poor IQ?...Worst IQ?...take your time...learn your camera...I shot 2000 photos with the 7D only to realize a few keepers...I backed up (stepped down to the FZ35)...learned about photography and from others and kept shooting every chance I got, but not for volume, for quality and in a controlled manner...you can learn to take photos with any camera...some take more time than others to learn...good luck with your future photographic endeavours...
FZ100 Macro Mode no Conversion Lens:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbs25 View Post
LTZ470, those are indeed wonderful pictures. Nice job. I took over 5000 pics with the FZ100 and only a few of them came out ok. When I returned the camera the guy at the camera store advised that he has had multiple people returning the FZ100. The FZ100 is a P&S and therefor its not made for the expert who knows how to properly tweek the camera. As a P&S the FZ100 sucks. I have 4 P&S and 1 35m SLR's and the FZ100 is the worst IQ wise in my opinion. I do agree with you on that fact that you need to fully learn the inner workings and options of your camera. The FZ100 just didn't do it for me aas well as many other reviewers.
btw, that outdoor photo with the older guy and the fire is quit amazing.

Last edited by LTZ470; Feb 5, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:24 AM   #17

those are great shots
tjamscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:09 AM   #18

LTZ470 Amazing Photos and thanks for all the help so far i am going to go and hopefully try these cameras out in a shop.
Smg-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:26 PM   #19

LTZ470, wonderful photos!

Smg-UK, just to let you know, I choose the FZ100 over the HS10. I really liked the HS10, but found the Panasonic to be noticeably faster - shutter lag, write times, etc and you can take a pretty "mean" photo with it. Hope you got to try one out this weekend.
SnowyPlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyPlover View Post
LTZ470, wonderful photos!

Smg-UK, just to let you know, I choose the FZ100 over the HS10. I really liked the HS10, but found the Panasonic to be noticeably faster - shutter lag, write times, etc and you can take a pretty "mean" photo with it. Hope you got to try one out this weekend.
Thanks for getting back to me Snowy if you are going to be posting some photos on here or flickr? i can't wait to see them .

I have still not tried these cameras however i won't be splashing the cash until the end of this month so am still just looking around at the moment

Last edited by Smg-UK; Feb 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM.
Smg-UK is offline   Reply With Quote