Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Canon SX30IS Or Panasonic FZ100

Hi i am looking at both of these cameras for taking pictures of birds and other animals. I realize that a DSLR would be better but i have had a few dslr's and to be honest because i don't print photos i just view them on my computer and also because buying lots of lenses is expensive and i hated lugging around lots of kit then i don't really want to go back to a dslr.

Which of these do you think would be better its very confusing lol i am still a amateur :S, I can't decide if its better to have the longer optical zoom of the canon and faster shutter speed or the faster focusing and shooting panasonic.
Smg-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Super Moderator

In a lot of ways it is tough but when it comes to wildlife I would say go Panasonic due to the faster continuous shooting speed. If you need the extra reach then many people have successfully added teleconverters that seem to do a good job. I would pop to the Panasonic section where you can see what they've managed to capture.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Forgot to say, here is a review worth looking at.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...shootout.shtml

I would actually consider the FZ40 in the mix as well but do as the Pany guys what they have experienced as I'm a dSLR user so only giving 2nd hand info.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4

Here's a couple comparisions...but you can go to the Panasonic Leica P&S Forum and just Search for SX30...you will get a huge amount of hits with sample photos come up from FZ40 to FZ100 to SX30...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...0-vs-sx30.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...l-samples.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply's very helpful
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:04 PM   #6

Smg-

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by. Both the Canon SX30 and the Panasonic FZ100 are new and rather specialized cameras. In short they are complicated and in most cases require post processing to get the best image quality, especially at long zoom settings.

The Panasonic FZ40 (as mark mentioned) may indeed be a better and easier to use option. I researched the SX30 and the FZ100 thoroughly before making my purchase, and I decided to purchase the FZ40 model, which is a really high performing camera.

You will find lots of information in our Panasonic P+S folder, and in specialized websites such as www.panasonicfz40enthusiasts.shutterfly.com.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:36 PM   #7

I purchased the FZ100 and returned it for the older FZ35. The FZ100 was the worst camera I have ever had for indoor or even semi low light photography. In high light it did fine. The FZ100 is amazingly fast (up to 60 FPS or I was getting 14 with auto focus and a fast card). The zoom is decent not great. Overall I was getting much better IQ with my old 4mp Olympus. The FZ35 does take marginaly better pictures, but it is a lot slower. I also just purchased a Pentax K-x, which is not a lot more expensive then the FZ100. Overall I do not recommend the FZ100, not even to my worst ememy unless you are only taking very high light outdoor photography.
dwbs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:30 PM   #8

Hi, SMG-UK, I'm in a similar position as you, trying to choose. I have tried the Canon SX30 and while I did get some shots that made me happy, I found it slower than what I was hoping and difficult to track birds, etc. I returned it.

Right now, I have both the Panasonic FZ-100 and the Fuji HS-10. Frankly, neither are good in indoor light (as expected), but I'll give the indoor edge to the Panasonic (so far). However, I'm mostly looking for using it outdoors - for birds, animals and sea creatures and found the zoom range very appealing. I found the Panasonic to be the quickest of all three. Speed is pretty important. I definitely prefer the FZ100 to the SX30. However, that doesn't mean I'm keeping it - this weekend it will be pitted against the HS10. Fingers crossed that I find one workable I'm, because I love that zoom.
SnowyPlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyPlover View Post
Hi, SMG-UK, I'm in a similar position as you, trying to choose. I have tried the Canon SX30 and while I did get some shots that made me happy, I found it slower than what I was hoping and difficult to track birds, etc. I returned it.

Right now, I have both the Panasonic FZ-100 and the Fuji HS-10. Frankly, neither are good in indoor light (as expected), but I'll give the indoor edge to the Panasonic (so far). However, I'm mostly looking for using it outdoors - for birds, animals and sea creatures and found the zoom range very appealing. I found the Panasonic to be the quickest of all three. Speed is pretty important. I definitely prefer the FZ100 to the SX30. However, that doesn't mean I'm keeping it - this weekend it will be pitted against the HS10. Fingers crossed that I find one workable I'm, because I love that zoom.
Thankyou SnowyPlover hmm yeah i have been hearing about the Canon being slow which is a shame considering the zoom range, and it seems a bugger that the Panasonic is not great for indoor photos i was hoping to get a camera that not only can i use as a hobby but also for general stuff like family photos etc.

Hmm it is very difficult let me know if you end up choosing one i am starting to look at the Panasonic more and maybe just buy a more compact camera for indoor photos etc lol.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:29 PM   #10

I have had all of the cameras mentioned above - FZ35, FZ40, FZ100 and SX30. I also had the Sony HX1 for about 2 days but instantly hated it. It came down to the 3 FZ cameras initially and then down to the FZ40/100 in the finale. I opted to keep the FZ40.

The FZ35 had the best IQ but only marginally better than the FZ40 and it had poorer WB and handling, not to mention 6x less zoom. The FZ100 did indeed have the worst IQ of the bunch but it is far better than most people give it credit for. The colors are excellent - something I don't typically say about Panasonic. It is also incredibly fast and fun to use.

I simply didn't like the SX30 at all, despite being a huge Canon fan. I didn't like the handling, the excessive CA, lack of a maximum ISO setting, etc. The FZ40 handles very nicely (FZ40 and FZ100 both handle great) and I considered it 2nd in IQ out of the 4 cameras. For my needs, it offered the best overall package.

Keep in mind that no bridge camera is ideally suited to indoor photos due to the lens/sensor. The FZ40/FZ100 do have good flash coverage if flash is an option for you, but keep in mind that there will likely be visible noise in shadow areas.