Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Default A beginner's dilemma - Fuji HS 10 or Nikon D3100?

I had posted one thread sometime back about a dilemma to buy a cam. But due to some difficulties, the deal couldn't materialize.

Now the time has come. In fact I'm planning to take it within a week. I had almost decided on the fuji as I am beginner and also want the video option, But today my friend pointed out the Nikon D3100 and I fell in luv with it.

What do u the experts say - for a beginner like me is it worth to pay the xtra cash and opt for a DSLR ?
ljlijash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:27 PM   #2

Take a look at the Pentax k-x. On the internet you can get it for $500 with kit lens. From all the research I've done on the two cameras people seem to like the IQ and build quality of the Pentax better. I just ordered mine and should be receiving it soon. I had a superzoom (Lumix FZ-35) and Im upgrading from that P&S due to frustrating IQ. I however am not an expert, I'm a beginner like you.
dwbs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:41 PM   #3

G'day ljlijash

The choice of a camera depands upon so many things..
Size & weight to carry around, convenience in use, ease of use, ease of looking thru the eyepiece, menus & shortcut buttons, Image Quality from its lens [or multiple lenses for the SLR]; focus response time; and the list goes on

Whether it's a Nikon or Canon or Pentax SLR - all will give excellent results but at the cost of size & weight & price

Whether it's the HS10 or the FZ40 or similar superzoom - all will give more than good & reasonable results with lots of convenience but at the cost of some Image Quality (compared with good quality SLR lenses)

Considering that the cost of most SLR lenses is greater than the price of the HS10 [or similar] one would expect better IQ. However as you can see from the many postings here from other photographers using a superzoom, the IQ is pretty damn good

The final choice must come down to you - you're the one going to use this camera

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:12 PM   #4

if video is important, skip the d3100, nikon are not great with video. I would actually look at a m4/3 camera if you want video. Something like the panasonic GH1 or G2 as they offer 1080p HD and will do a better job at video the the nikon.

Photowise. The nikon will produce much better results then the fuji, and at higher iso, 800 and above the nikon will be better the the gh1 and g2.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:14 PM   #5

PS

DSLR in general do not shoot video well. The AF system are not design for video.

You can also look at the sony A33. It would be a good video camera. And only a little behind a dslr in photos.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:32 PM   #6

I purchased and returned the Fuji HS10. I felt that, at least for me, the image quality was just not there. After much research, I purchased the Panasonic FZ40 and have been very pleased with it. I also shoot with DSLR cameras, but keep at least one super zoom in action.

The FZ-40 will give you a much small sized kit. That equals much less, weight, bulk, and pieces. That is a factor to consider rather seriously. Sometimes, even though I own DSLR cameras, the situation, or my personal desire dictates that I go lighter, with quicker action, but less image quality. A DSLR will always provide better image quality that any P+S, or P+S super zoom.

A DSLR camera comes with a fairly steep learning curve. That makes the cross over to a super zoom easier than a cross over to a DSLR camera. That should also be seriously considered.

Drop by our website at www.panasonicfz40enthusiasts.shutterfly.com. We have lots of information and a very good Gallery where you can view a variety of FZ40/45 photos, as well as some older FZ series photo that were requested to provide a comparison.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:45 PM   #7

So are you guys saying that, buy a P&S, learn and then switch over to DSLR option is better?

Some questions...

The Nikon D3100 shoots video @ 1080p but only for 10 min. Its absolutely a beginners camera as it has a 'Guide' mode to help out.
It comes with a 18-55 lens. Do you think that is apt for random clicks ? With the Fuji, I dont need to worry about those I guess.
But the image quality - will it make much of a difference for an amataeur like me ? When will the imgae qaulity factor come into play - on taking prints ?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:09 PM   #8

No, that is not what I am saying. If video is really important. The dslr will be harder to used, as you really need to manual focus to get great results.

But a dslr will required a larger learn curve, but there is a ton of info on the net and youtube.

That is why I suggested a m4/3 camera or the sony slt. They have dslr features and image quality. But the video is easier to you. The m4/3 and SLT have dslr sensors. So they will produce much higher quality photos.

If you like the photos of the nikon, then the larger sensor is something you will want for that higher quality video.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
No, that is not what I am saying. If video is really important. The dslr will be harder to used, as you really need to manual focus to get great results.

But a dslr will required a larger learn curve, but there is a ton of info on the net and youtube.

That is why I suggested a m4/3 camera or the sony slt. They have dslr features and image quality. But the video is easier to you. The m4/3 and SLT have dslr sensors. So they will produce much higher quality photos.

If you like the photos of the nikon, then the larger sensor is something you will want for that higher quality video.
Its not that I want to have superb high quality videos. I just want to have that feature in the camera I am going to buy so that if required I can take some cute lil videos of my 10 months old kido. 95% its gonna be stills all the way.

With this in mind, what are your recommendations now ? Specific models would really help

Thanks.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:59 PM   #10

If you like the dslr like the nikon d3100, I would look at the pentax k-x or k-r. The pentax has a better AF system then the nikon.

It does shoot only 720HD.

But if you want the best HD in a dslr the canon t2i, is the best in the entry level.

The d3100 had a flaw it can not use all the nikon lenses, and some of the less expensive ones.